X

low spark on spark plugs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low spark on spark plugs

well my katana was working fine when it started having idle issues (the choke spring was bad so i changed it )
    after a while she seemed to run fine then one afternoon i tried to start her up all i heard was the motor turning over
    so i checked the tank for fuel it was good since i have clear fuel lines i saw that the fuel was goinfg to the carbs
    i then preceaded to check the spark plugs

the looked like crap so i went to a local motorcycle shop and got the oem spark plugs (22.33) for four of them here in canada
    when i put them in and put the spark plug cables on and the tank on top all conected nicely i preceaded to charge the battery
    next day i tried to start her up she wouldnt.

my guess was the spark plugs/the coils even though i havent tested the coils

im just looking for some imput from KR

Originally posted by ICEG View Post
    well my katana was working fine when it started having idle issues (the choke spring was bad so i changed it )
    after a while she seemed to run fine then one afternoon i tried to start her up all i heard was the motor turning over
    so i checked the tank for fuel it was good since i have clear fuel lines i saw that the fuel was goinfg to the carbs
    i then preceaded to check the spark plugs

the looked like crap so i went to a local motorcycle shop and got the oem spark plugs (22.33) for four of them here in canada
    when i put them in and put the spark plug cables on and the tank on top all conected nicely i preceaded to charge the battery
    next day i tried to start her up she wouldnt.

my guess was the spark plugs/the coils even though i havent tested the coils

im just looking for some imput from KR
    Coils and wires are an easy fix, but probably not necessary... Can you pull a plug and see if you're getting any spark (better if you have a decent meter, but whatever you got).

I'd guess is it's more than likely a carb issue.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Comment

well i pulled out the sparkplugs and they have a week spark
        but i dont know what could be wrong with the carbs

Comment

how do you know it's a "weak" spark? I would try new plugs long before I EVER thought about the coils. If you are getting spark, the coils are working.

Comment

i have new sparkplugs installed
            i had one out of the block to inspect the spark as i turned the bike over a couple of times

Comment

did you check the gap?

Comment

yes its .65mm

Comment

ok, good, now did you check the signal generator ohm resistance?

Comment

no i dont know where it is
                    and what is the resistance that should be there

Comment

crap, I gotta look stuff up, I'll post it later.

Comment

If you are getting spark, it is most likely dirty carbs. When was the last time they were cleaned? I know when my bike starts running like crap, a carb cleaning is in my future.

Comment

well they havent beeen cleaned in a while but they shure look as if they are clean

ill look into it elcat

im surprised that arsenic doesnt know it off by hard
                          some times i wonder if he has a day job or does he just fiddle with his kat lol
                          Last edited by ICEG; 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

no, I don't have a day job, all I do is mess with the kat. I got hurt in a motorcycle accident in 05. I own a small business parting out bike on ebay, by small I mean just me So yeah, all day is spent around motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                            X