Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2000 KAT wont start!!! Were should I look first?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 KAT wont start!!! Were should I look first?

I pulled the plugs and they were a little dirty. But When i try to start it. It sounds like its not firing.

I have to drive my Exploder to work that sucks!!!
    Its the KatScout! Scoutin' for over 6 years! Scouts OUT!

#1 - check for spark

Comment

If the starter is turning, that rules out the interlocks on the clutch & sidestand.

Next step is fuel: turn the petcock to PRIME, wait 15-20 seconds, then back to ON. Sometimes a hot run will evaporate all the fuel out of the carb bowls after you park the bike; switching the petcock to PRI temporarily will refill them. If this works, great, if not, then we need to go on (I do the PRI trick first because it doesn't require removing any parts from the bike).

If the plugs are firing (arsenic's advice and the next obvious step), then reinstall them. If they're not firing reliably, replace them. Katana's are harder on plugs than most bikes and all cars. While you are in there, it's time to check the fuel and vacuum lines to the petcock and at the carbs -- make sure they're not kinked nor cracked.

Try firing it up again. Still no joy? Time to pull out the air filter and check it, as well as clean & check the inside of the airbox (which should be basically clean or coated only with a very light coat of oil). Make sure the drain tube for the airbox is installed correctly as well & plugged off.

Try it again... Still no joy?

Well, then it's down to suspect quality fuel or water in the carbs -- drain the carbs, refill them from a known-good fresh fuel source and try it again.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I replaced the plugs and no spark!! Now what???

Comment

well, no spark which, I figured was the problem, could be many, many things. Start at the plugs and eork your way to the CDI.
          - check the ohm resistance at the coils
          - check the ohm resistance at the signal generator
          - check the harness for breaks between the generator and CDI
          - check the CDI

If you don't have one, your gonna need a manual, you can download one for free here.

Comment

Ok while I was in the house surfing the net. Looking on here. I went back out and she purred but stopped. What could it be?

Comment

No spark, then spark?
              What happened in between aside from you turning the key (did you move the bike, put up the sidestand, etc)?

If the answer is nothing, except turning the key, the answer probably lies in your ignition switch and/or the wires leading up to it.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1, that aint right, there's a problem some where and if you had no spark then spark, that could point in the direction of the CDI, intermittent failures are a common thing when a CDI is going out.

Comment

I'm guessing that he didn't test spark the right way (just a suspicion -- no insult intended), not grounding the plug properly... While it could be the CDi, unless the CDi was physically damaged or static-damaged, it's very unlikely to be the culprit.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes I didnt do something right so I started over with you guys advice. And now my kat is purring again. Thanks guys. You did your country a good deed and helped a soldier. Thanks guys. So with it wanting to die on me what is that?

Comment

does it still want to die on you? Turn the idle up to were it's supposed to be. Left side of the carbs, when your sitting on the bike put you left hand down and it's right there. It's a Phillips head screw that meant to be turned by hand. If that doesn't help, you have some dirty carbs. Blocked pilot circuit, tear them apart, if your confident in your mechanical abilities, and clean every passage with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Comment

Working...
                      X