X

Hello all

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hey guys and gals. I picked up an 02 Katana 600 a few years ago. I really enjoy the bike but it needs a few thing. The guy claimed that he was selling it because his girlfriend dropped it at a light. From what I can tell it was only dropped but was repainted so it could be worse but it rides pretty good from my experience. I need to put tires on it and fix a couple things here and there. The worse thing atm is I can get it to start and idle but once I give it gas it dies. I've worked on my own cars since I was 16 but I do not have a lot of experience with bikes. I think the gas has gone bad and maybe the jets might be gunked up some. I am not really sure what i can run through it to see if that's the problem or not.

I really enjoy the bike and really hope I can get it back up and running for the nicer days that are upcoming.

A little about me I am a happily married man of the last almost 3 years. We have 2 great kids between us from previous situations. I love cars video games and electronics. I am currently in school to get my cyber security AS degree.

Welcome to Katriders

Comment

Thank you very much JIB.

Comment

Welcome..try changing the fuel filter. If that doesn't help, it may be time for a carb cleaning.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 12-09-2015, 09:17 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thank you 92x. Do you know if there is a cleaner that can be ran through the system that is safe for bikes?

Comment

You can try seafoam, but it will probably only clean out minor deposits. In the end you may have to dive into the carbs and clean them by hand.

How old is the gas that you have in the tank now?

Comment

Its old about a year old so I know that is really bad I wont even try to start it now until I drain that out. It has sat since I moved because it was not wanting to run other than at idle. I just have not had the time to dive into it Not looking forward to rebuilding carbs unless I have to. But at the same time I have a bad feeling that I will need to due to the gas that is in it. Im worried the gaskets and o-rings might be shot.

Comment

Welcome to KR! Great write ups(not sure if the video is working) on here for carb rebuilding, and also the carb guru arsenic is the one to goto for help.
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

If you want them rebuilt ship them to arsenic, he will professionally rebuild them for you.

Welcome to KR
                  Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                  The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Arsenic Rebuilding your carbs doesn't happen very often. He sells rebuilt carb remanufactured carb sets. The info he provides is spot on.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ahh, I figured he would rebuild them on customer request.

When it comes to carbs he has an Iq of 180..

Well if you dive in to it yourself we will be here to help and by we I mean arsenic because I dont know shit about carbs
                      Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                      The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
                        Carbs 102 - http://katriders.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Carbs102a.pdf

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the suggestions. Does anyone happen to have the part number for the fuel filter for the 02 600? I found a thread with the 98 I believe it was. I just want to make sure I get the correct one. Also what is the best way to drain the tank? Again I am not experienced in working on bikes but I am with cars.

Comment

Working...
                          X