X

Ignition need help!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition need help!!

So I rode my bike to my friends house the other day and it was working perfectly fine. When I went back to turn it on it just wouldn't start so now it's just been sitting in his driveway. This isn't the first time it's happened, a couple weeks ago it did this and I found I only had to change the fuse cause it was blown. But now when I changed the fuse... Like 4 times... It just kept happening. The engine doesn't turn or anything I'm guessing that there may be something in the ignition circuit that is giving to much volts or something I just don't no how to fix it. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Which fuse? Was it blown? It may be the starter solenoid. If it's a pre 98 the relay is on the right side of the battery box. put the bike in neutral and turn the key to "on", use a large wire and touch the two large posts with the wire, if it turns over and maybe starts. Either the relay is bad, you have a short or open wiring somewhere.... Or the clutch safety switch bit the dust.. I would check that first.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Definitely check/jump the relay, and if you hear a clicking sound you know it's working. If it will bump then you know it's something with the starter circuit, not the actual ignition.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Which fuse? Was it blown? It may be the starter solenoid. If it's a pre 98 the relay is on the right side of the battery box. put the bike in neutral and turn the key to "on", use a large wire and touch the two large posts with the wire, if it turns over and maybe starts. Either the relay is bad, you have a short or open wiring somewhere.... Or the clutch safety switch bit the dust.. I would check that first.
        My bike is from 97 and it's the ignition fuse that blows out. Sometimes when I replace it it will work but the other day I stalled out and when I turned it back on it would blow the ignition fuse and I couldn't get it to work so I was stuck. What type of wire do I use and what posts do I connect them to?

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon95 View Post
          ...What type of wire do I use and what posts do I connect them to?
          I'd use a #16awg wire. Down load the manual from the Wiki and refer to the schematics in the back for the color code of the existing wire and where it needs to go.
          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

If you're blowing fuses then you've got a short somewhere. You're going to keep having this problem until you fix that. It's possible that's only one problem, though. First thing I'd check is the (evil) clutch safety switch. Try unplugging the wires going to the base of your clutch lever and short them together with a wire or paper clip. If the bike starts like that then the switch is bad. This is pretty common. I've never had a Suzuki with a good one.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Next would be either the start button or the relay its self, unplug the small wires from the relay, does it still blow fuses? Push the start button, fuse blow..... If no to all the relay may be at fault.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
              X