Katana 600 a good beginner bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 600 a good beginner bike?

Hi,

I have taken the MSF course and passed it without missing a single point(50/50 on the written test, and 100% on the riding test).

Safety is something that is very important to me, and I plan on wearing a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and Draggin' Jeans with each ride.

That said, is there anyone here who has learned on a Katana 600? If you have the right attitude, would it be a good bike to learn on?

I was originally thinking of a Ninja 500r, but I have been waiting all summer for one to come on sale. I started checking around on Katanas and already found 2 that would probably work.

Advice? Thoughts? Thanks for any input!

I started on a Katana 750 and have been fine. It is a heavy beast, but you get used to it. I, too, thought i would get a Ninja 500, but couldnt find a good used one. You'll like the Kat, i say go for it.

Comment

Nope.

Check these threads out for a full explaination:

Comment

CP quote from one of those posts:

Standard advice:

As a newbie, my advice is to look at cheap used bikes in the 400 to 500cc range. Find a bike that fits your build well, where you can put both feet on the ground and lean the bike between your thighs left and right a bit. The bike should be cheap -- $1k - $2k price range (preferably something you can afford in cash), physically light and nimble, and not all that powerful. If you wreck it during your learning curve, you won't cry at the financial penalty of it, and if you don't wreck it, you'll be able to get out of it whatever it cost you in the first place... It'll also teach you better riding habits.
        While i agree that used is the way to go for your first bike (so you wont get too upset when you dropit), you'd be hard pressed to find even a 250 for 2k, let alone a GS/Ninja 500. Your standard post needs to get with the times!

Comment

Thanks for the links. I read through all of them and have a pretty good idea of my thoughts, but I am going to head down to the dealership and see if I like it when I sit on one. I loved the Ninja 500r, but I wasn't a fan of the GS500. The handlebars seemed way.. long.

I am curious how the Katana will treat me.

Thanks for the info. Sorry for reposting a topic that you guys probably get a lot!

Comment

Go with the Kat 600. You learn right off the bat that it is a good sport touring bike, get the hang of it being heavy and isn't as ballsy as the GSXR's or R6's or R1's. So when you do finally get mad at it you can just upgrade to a Supersport and realize what you have been missing all along.

Comment

I basically learned on the Kat 600 and I am still learning. I hade a bike when I was a kid it was a Honda 200T(20 years ago). Never licensed it or got insurance. Did not ride it tons but rode it every now and then. I did a lot of research before I bought and everyone said the katana was a good beginner sport bike. Yes it is a little heavy but you can get over that real easy as you develop more confidence. The extra weight makes the bike feel real solid. Definitely get one used I have dropped it once practicing for my drive test. I was probably at less than 2 mph doing a u-turn. I didn’t hurt anything but my pride and a couple of small scratches. But that’s why I bought a used bike.

If you need any new rider advice feel free to PM me. I am a new rider and I can tell you all the things I have done to get more comfortable in riding. This place helps a lot people here are real great and offer some good information. Everyone here has been in the same spot you are now. Some of us are doing it now and some of us did it 25 years ago.

Good luck
              Safe ridding

Comment

Originally posted by Flip

Standard advice:

As a newbie, my advice is to look at cheap used bikes in the 400 to 500cc range. Find a bike that fits your build well, where you can put both feet on the ground and lean the bike between your thighs left and right a bit. The bike should be cheap -- $1k - $2k price range (preferably something you can afford in cash), physically light and nimble, and not all that powerful. If you wreck it during your learning curve, you won't cry at the financial penalty of it, and if you don't wreck it, you'll be able to get out of it whatever it cost you in the first place... It'll also teach you better riding habits.
                While i agree that used is the way to go for your first bike (so you wont get too upset when you dropit), you'd be hard pressed to find even a 250 for 2k, let alone a GS/Ninja 500. Your standard post needs to get with the times!
                I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Brand new, MSRP on the Ninja 250 is $2,999. Down here they're all over the place for well under $2K with very little miles. People grow out of them quickly and the trade in value is quite low, so folks sell 'em for what they can get privately. As for a larger starter bike, there are plenty to be found for $2K and under, they're just not gonna be brand new. With a very limited search of Suzuki only I found this bike with an asking price of $2K.

If it runs well that's a great bike for about $1,750 cash in hand I'd say.

Lastly, I don't think the Kat is a good starter bike. The weight isn't a big deal, but it's just not nimble enough IMO. I always recommend the Ninja 250 for reasons you've probably already read. I rode mine for well over a year and had a blast learning on it. Then upgraded to a Ninja 1100 with no problems. Good luck with whatever you choose!
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I look at my local craigslist every day for fun and you wont find anything decent for under 2k, maybe FL has a larger market. Even the 250's wont dip below 2000. *shrug*

Comment

I look at my local craigslist every day for fun and you wont find anything decent for under 2k, maybe FL has a larger market. Even the 250's wont dip below 2000. *shrug*
                    You're location says No Va. Looks at washington DC listings. There's TONNES of bikes in that price range. Everyday. Richmond has a few, not many.
                    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

The market probably is larger since you can ride down here year round, although I tend to ride less in the summer months because of the heat and the ever looming thunderstorms.

Hey, why not come on down here for a good buy and ride your new bike home .

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat

Standard advice:

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Brand new, MSRP on the Ninja 250 is $2,999. Down here they're all over the place for well under $2K with very little miles. People grow out of them quickly and the trade in value is quite low, so folks sell 'em for what they can get privately. As for a larger starter bike, there are plenty to be found for $2K and under, they're just not gonna be brand new. With a very limited search of Suzuki only I found this bike with an asking price of $2K.

If it runs well that's a great bike for about $1,750 cash in hand I'd say.

Lastly, I don't think the Kat is a good starter bike. The weight isn't a big deal, but it's just not nimble enough IMO. I always recommend the Ninja 250 for reasons you've probably already read. I rode mine for well over a year and had a blast learning on it. Then upgraded to a Ninja 1100 with no problems. Good luck with whatever you choose!
                        i think the weight is a big deal actually. a new rider wont know what to do in a parking lot style situation going very slow with a top heavy bike. ive seen a few drops and come close myself(with a passenger) because the kat is so heavy.

a buddy of mine had a heavy bike and was making a very slow turn. he had to suddenly stop and had the front wheel cranked all the way over with a slight lean and hit the brakes, he almost dropped it. a lighter bike i think it would be easier to plant your foot and keep the bike up.

sure you may get used to the added weight and it becomes a non-issue, But how long will that take is anyone guess. you may very well drop it a few times before you get to that point. or if you do drop it how likely are you able to pick it back up? suck to drop your bike in traffic and be stuck trying to heft it back up and not be able to.

i always recomend a small used/beater to learn on. noone ever listens to me though so i gave up lol.

never take the sellers price as the final price, if someone wants 3k offer them half and work your way up to 2k cash, most likely they will take it.
                        03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                          never take the sellers price as the final price, if someone wants 3k offer them half and work your way up to 2k cash, most likely they will take it.
                          If you offered me half my asking price that would be the end of our conversation - seriously. I usually start around 83% and work my way up from there. Private sellers generally list for pretty close to what they want. As a whole they're not out to rape you like the dealers, just looking to sell for a bit more than what they would get at trade-in.

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                            You're location says No Va. Looks at washington DC listings. There's TONNES of bikes in that price range. Everyday. Richmond has a few, not many.
                            Sure, if you want a quad or a dirtbike. Are you even looking? I see one 250 and a secca II in that range... you get what you pay for. I love the used market, but anything worth no killing yourself on is going to be 3k+ is all i'm saying.

Comment

I've never riden before ever. Not even a dirt bike and i had absolutly no problem with the 600. I love it and i think i made the perfect choice. It's got plenty of power and is really comfortable. By the bike that's best for you not the one your friends think is cool. I had it for less than a year and have over 5,000 miles on it. and that includes 6 months of winter. I was also looking at the GS500 but didn't find any and the ninja 500 but i didn't like the ninja when i saw it. Felt too crappy to pay just alittle less than the bike i actually wanted
                              2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

Working...
                              X