X

Katana dies when shifted into gear...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana dies when shifted into gear...

I went out to ride my bike this morning and when i shifted it into gear it just died, and when i tried to start it in gear it wouldnt even turn over. any ideas why this might be?

Bad kickstand switch.

Comment

You can bypass it very easily
      never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
      Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
      confused katana build

Comment

My bike doesnt have one, I guess when i got it didnt come with one on it.

It was going into gear perfect then it rained now it dies everytime it gets put into gear.

Comment

They all have one most like been bypassed which means bad wiring somewhere rain leads me to believe a short
          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

mine has been doing this also but I think my issue is within the clutch
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
              mine has been doing this also but I think my issue is within the clutch
              Eh, nope. Hardly ever the clutch. Kickstand switch or possibly sidestand relay. Trust me.

Originally posted by 88Streetfighter View Post
              My bike doesnt have one, I guess when i got it didnt come with one on it.

It was going into gear perfect then it rained now it dies everytime it gets put into gear.
              Yup. Wiring got wet. Look down by the shifter, should be two wires spliced together. Those are shorting out somewhere or not connected.
              Last edited by 05RedKat600; 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just went and looked, theres no wires by the shifter but there are these 2 wires by the clutch lever that got cut and are just bare wires now. could those be anything?

Comment

Originally posted by 88Streetfighter View Post
                  Just went and looked, theres no wires by the shifter but there are these 2 wires by the clutch lever that got cut and are just bare wires now. could those be anything?
                  Yeah, connect those together with a waterproof splice of some sort. Typically that only affects the start circuit but take care of it anyway. If that doesn't fix it we need to track down those sidestand wires.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Yeah, connect those together with a waterproof splice of some sort. Typically that only affects the start circuit but take care of it anyway. If that doesn't fix it we need to track down those sidestand wires.
                    I connected them and still wont stay running when into gear.
                    and Im looking all around the shifter and kick stand there are no wires. I took some pictures to maybe better help u explain to me where to look, maybe im missing something.

Last edited by 88Streetfighter; 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i see nothin

confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                        i see nothin
                        Yeah those no wires anywhere so idk what to look for or how to fix what it is thats causing this or if it has something to do with my kickstand switch that i dont have haha.
                        Last edited by 88Streetfighter; 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

as in no pictures

confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                            as in no pictures
                            Oh weird.... It shows up on my computer. ill try again.

can u see the pics?
                            Last edited by 88Streetfighter; 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

well its not there also those two rubber lines with bolts in them shouldn't be plugged, next step would be to grab a wiring schematic and trace down when the stand connects to then bypass it the wiring diagram should be on here somewhere

confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                              X