Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Lots of problems(Wont Start/ Clutch wont disengage)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of problems(Wont Start/ Clutch wont disengage)

I just got done putting on a new starter cover on my bike and now when i finished up and got around to cranking it up, nothing. It turns over but there it wont fire. It seems like it is getting no gas(cant smell any).
    This was my first problem, until i tried to move the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in. It wont disengage. I thought it was just the cable wasnt adjusted right, but i fooled around with it for a while and got a lot more pull on it, and still nothing. From what i can see, all the parts are moving when i pull it in, it just doesnt work.

I know this is all kind of vague but if anyone could at least point me in the right direction here i would be very appreciative.

Check the clutch Lifter mechanisim, Make sure the cable where the ball is is still part of, and attached to the clutch basket. If it is, and its moving freely, when the clutch handles pulled, Check the pushrod and clean it up as well while your there, If its still not releasing the clutch, Go into the How To section and follow HS2020's post to adjust the clutch properly.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Addendum: As for the fueling issue, you might have crap in the carbs. But one suggestion, you might want to fill out your garage info.. Make/model year engine size yadda yadda so we all can help you better, since we will know the specs. Also, adding where your located in the Wild world might clue other users in to "Hey, Hes not far from me" So someone near ya might lend a hand.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I have a 96 600. I never put where i am since i am almost never near my bike. I go to Purdue but am from MI.
        I checked and adjusted the wires and lifter, they all seem to be working. The rod had some gunk on it but i cleaned it up real good. I then put the cover on with no bolts and pulled the clutch lever in to see if it was making contact and working, and it was (made the cover move out slightly) then i put all the bolts in and ....... nothing. Clutch was still in. Im going to try and adjust the basket next, but how do i get that rubber piece off without mangling it?

As for not starting im guessing it is just a combo of cold weather and carbs that have never been cleaned.

Comment

what rubber piece are you talking about? Adjusting the cable to what you think will work, won't do it, follow HS2020's how to to a T. You can't adjust the basket in any way, before you try, there is nothing you can do, the only possible thing you can do is put a longer clutch piece in to push the pressuer plate out further.
          Last edited by arsenic; 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem with my clutch this last year (on a 98). Mine ended up being one of the fiberplates as burned to sh** and the anti judder spring had seized against one of the steels. Not sure how comfortable you are with digging into a clutch, but PM me if you need anything further. To get into everything, you just need to follow the service manual for plate replacement. As for the fuel, if you can't smell it getting any gas, it could even be as simple as clogged fuel filter.
            "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Lehbs View Post
              As for the fuel, if you can't smell it getting any gas, it could even be as simple as clogged fuel filter.
              Good call, start with the easiest possible cause.

Comment

pull the fuel lines off the petcock and see if gas is coming out.....are you starting your bike on prime? are you getting spark?

Comment

Alright heres an update.
                  I went out an bought some starting fluid and got it started up pretty easily. The clutch problem is still there even with all the adjustments. Im really hoping i dont have to tear it all apart, not too sure of myself on that one.

On a side note, how much oil should be put in the engine. I put in a full 4qts and its still not showing up in the window.

Comment

if you put 4 quarts in and it's not showing up, thats a problem.

Comment

Or you're checking it wrong .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well then. How should i be checking?

Comment

was it on the side stand or the center stand?

Comment

Start bike , let run 1 minute , shut down , let sit 1-2 minutes , stand up vertical , have a look . Gotta make sure it's vertical . This is the kay .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

kay=key

Comment

Working...
                              X