X

Newbie... need bike advice!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie... need bike advice!

So, I'm completely new to motorcycles, and this is my first post here at KatRiders. I guess an introduction is in order... My name is Andrew, I'm 29, and I live in Denver, CO. I'm taking my MSF course next Saturday, and just excited about learning to ride.

I'm having an extremely difficult time deciding on a first bike. I like the sport bikes, but my friends have been great to me - and sternly warned me that the bigger sport bikes are way too much for a new rider to handle. I finally let the advice sink in, and began looking at the middle-weight rides. Some people have been stearing me towards the SV650S... and in my research, I stumbled upon the Katana.

I much prefer a bike with a full fairing, and the Katana definitely has it. I guess I'm just looking for more advice from experienced riders. Is a Katana appropriate for a new rider? Is it too much? Should I be looking at other bikes?

Feel free to hit me with brutal honesty - as I want my introduction to motrocycling to be an enjoyable experience.

Well first I would like to say it sounds like you have a good set of friends with some great advice for you.

Now my advice for a first bike would be a Ninja 250 or a GS500 being the largest I would recomend. I would also advise you also look at used bikes not new.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Get a Hayabusa, R1, CBR1000 or GSXR1000. Great first bikes! The Katana demands considerable riding skills. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
        Get a Hayabusa, R1, CBR1000 or GSXR1000. Great first bikes! The Katana demands considerable riding skills. IMHO.
        Be careful, don't be misleading.

I personally feel that the Katana 600 would be a fine starter bike but others have their own opinions. Now when I say fine I mean it would be acceptable. The Katana 600 would be on the grey end. With maturity it can be done even on a 750. The throttle isn't an on/off switch, its variable and requires the rider to adjust it. That being said, we don't know you as a person so we can't really give you solid straight on advise as to wether the katana 600/750 would be an allright bike for you to start on. You need to honestly look at you'reself and see what you want out of a motorcycle and how you would ride. With maturity, just like anything else, it can be very possible, as well as very fun filled.

Another thing I reccomend is to take the MSF class. They will most deffinatly cram 1-2 years of knolege straight into you're head in the short 2-3 day class. Plus you leave with you're licence (in most states.).

I hope you make the right choice. Good luck!

Edit:: There was a thread shortly before this one on whether the Katana 600 is a suitable first choice, can be found here - http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20674

P.S. Don't listen to those people above and below this post saying about the Hayabusas.. They are yanking you're chain for not searching (which you may consider doing in the future).
        2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Comment

Hayabusa is a damn awesome first bike...you never needs to shift out of 1st gear if you don't want to.

Comment

I'm not that dumb... I know what a Hayabusa is. And no, I'm not getting one.

Comment

A CBR600f4i or Ninja 636 would also make a great 1st bike. Easy as hell to get the front end up!

Comment

the gs500 is a great starter bike and some come with full fairing.

Comment

The gs500 would be a pretty good starter bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
                    lol, thats not very nice zukiman he wants to learn, not die lol
                    You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

I started on an Ninja 500 and it was a started bike, plus got what I paid for it after riding it for 3 yrs. Just bought a 2006 Kat this year, start out small and you will enjoy things alot longer. Welcome to the club and you will find that most guys around here really want you to enjoy your stay.

Ask away and questions and the search functin will provide you with a wealth of information.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

My first bike was a buell blast lol. like mcmahonm said, start out small. You will be better off that way.
                        You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

I think a katana is an ok first bike. It may be a bit heavy. A ninja 250 is also a good way to go. I agree with ZukiFred; try a used bike first.
                          Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

My Katana 600 was my 1st bike and was pretty easy to learn on. I don't think I would of liked to learn on anything with a larger engine. I found the Katana easier to balance and ride than my friends GSX-R.

-Justin
                            '89 Conquest TSi :: '01 GSX 600F Katana :: '02 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Comment

the katana is a great bike hurry and buy it if you are gonna I'm looking for a price spike soon due to last year in production IF you like the sv650s you can get full ferrings for it and it looks good to ( My first bike was the KAN-O-GIXXER kinda dumb of me I know.)

Comment

Working...
                              X