X

Need your input

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your input

I posted a thread before saying i want a jet kid, well maybe not after all: I'm running a K&N air filter, and a D&D slip on
    I was thinking of getting the jet kit put in but the con about it which i really dont like is that it will knock off 100km per tank which is quite a bit for a motorcycle since we are already limited. I'm planning on doing a bit of touring this season so thats why i'm thinking twice about this kit. What do you guys think?
    Shiny side up !!!

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with a jet kit that would aid you in touring. IMHO, you'd get jet kit installed if you want to squeeze extra performance out of a motorcycle. I don't think you need than when travelling the countryside.

For touring purposes, a jet kit adds no value and in fact will make your trips more expensive than they would need to be. I would shy away from a jet kit until your touring is done.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I say if you want a powerful short range bike, get a GSXR. I plan on putting serious miles on my kat, so its all about the MPG for me.

Comment

A kit will definately degrade your mileage. I put a kit in my '03 and it reduced my mileage per tank by a good 60kms.

BUT, launching from a stoplight was more fun.

If you put the kit in and are doing some long distance travels just add a couple more pitstops to your itinerary.

What do you do more.. Long distance? or around the city?

Go with what will give you more satisfaction and what you'd prefer to have on a daily basis... performance? Or economy?

Comment

thanks for the info... 60km off the tank isn't that bad actually, i thought it was like 100 or so which is more than what i planned.... well then i guess i will wait. Do the touring and maybe mid summer get the kit.
          Shiny side up !!!

Comment

That depends alot on how you ride too.. If you ride hard, start off fast all the time, alot of starts and stops in general, if you ride fast alot and basically make your engine work harder, you'll go through even more fuel. If you do get a jet kit, you'll lose some mileage per tank for sure as the others mentioned but you can help minimize it some by "riding easy" if you know what I mean.

Comment

What you guys fail to realize is that a PROPERLY tuned jet kit will net better or equal fuel mileage as stock. Before jet kit on my Katana? 43mpg. After jetting? 45mpg. Before jet kit on the Bandit? 40mpg. After a stage 2 with K&N pod filters> I have seen 45mpg.

Tune the damn things right and you will not lose mpg's.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I put a jet kit on mine because after installing a full yosh system the bike had a flat spot between 6 to 7 grand.Really not to rough a ride but the kit got rid of the problem.I guess it all depends if the slip on is causing any acceleration problems.If nothing seems out of the ordinary leave it alone.

Comment

Working...
                X