X

First ride on my 02' Kat!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride on my 02' Kat!

I've had my bike for a couple of months already, but did not have chance to ride it. I live in Minnesota. This weekend it was about 40 and I took her out for a little rip. First off I used to have a ZX7, and a CBR 929. I stopped riding for a while, and decided to ride again. The Kat was the right bike for the right price.

Anyhow here's a couple first impressions... First, I think it's a lot faster than I expected. It's FAST!! I think it felt faster than my buddies SV650, but then again I have not riden that one in a long time. The engine sort of stuck untill it was fully warmed up, but then it ripped. Second, at lower speeds the steering felt like it easily pulled to the left and right. Like it did not want to stay in the center. Not sure if it was just me, or maybe it's becuase I have not been on a bike for while. But it seemed like it flopped back and fourth. The clutch felt nice and tight...I loved the way it shifted tight and smooth.

Anyhow after my short ride I'm really excited for the warm weather to come. We have nice bikes, that's for sure.

Re: First ride on my 02' Kat!

Originally posted by gsxr150
    Second, at lower speeds the steering felt like it easily pulled to the left and right. Like it did not want to stay in the center. Not sure if it was just me, or maybe it's becuase I have not been on a bike for while. But it seemed like it flopped back and fourth.
    Might be the tires or the tire pressure. Did you check the pressure before you went out (depending on your weight, it may need to be significantly higher than the 33/36 Suzuki recommends)? Also, what brand is on the bike?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The engine sort of stuck untill it was fully warmed up, but then it ripped
      Remember to let the bike warm up when its been sitting for awhile. Dont be afraid to use the choke to start it and let it choke for maybe 30 seconds to a minute depending on how long its been sitting. And remember never ride the bike with the choke engages, always turn it back off before you pull away.

Congrats on the first ride, you're hooked now

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Originally posted by gsxr150
        Second, at lower speeds the steering felt like it easily pulled to the left and right. Like it did not want to stay in the center. Not sure if it was just me, or maybe it's becuase I have not been on a bike for while. But it seemed like it flopped back and fourth.
        Might be the tires or the tire pressure. Did you check the pressure before you went out (depending on your weight, it may need to be significantly higher than the 33/36 Suzuki recommends)? Also, what brand is on the bike?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Not trying to steal your thread gsxr150 but Cyber I didnt know you were supposed to change your tire pressure depending on your weight. Im 225 and I always use the 33/36. Think I should change that?
        My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by StoneJrW
          Cyber I didnt know you were supposed to change your tire pressure depending on your weight. Im 225 and I always use the 33/36. Think I should change that?
          Lordy YES!

If you think of a tire as a bunch of chemicals bonded together primarily by heated bonding, it's easy to realize the hotter the tire is, the faster those chemicals will want to unbind again.

Tires are designed with some optimal rider weight in mind, usually about a 140lb load weight (rider, gear, etc). As the weight goes up, the tire deflection increases (i.e. - the flat spot where contacts the ground gets bigger), which causes the tires to run hotter because it has to bend further out of shape as the tire passes that spot... and that usually results in scalloping [uneven wear between the tread-blocks].

The idea is to add enough pressure to maintain the same deflection amount when you're on it, as it would have with a 140 lb load weight with the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Depending on the brand, recommendations vary. Pirelli and Metzeler both recommend substantially higher pressures on their tires on the Kats than the Suzuki recommendations, even with a 140lb load weight... For someone at 225, I believe the tires should be run around 37-38 psi front, 40-41 psi rear, or a hair higher (a hair is technobabble for anything under a full psi in this case).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks as always cyber. I know several people {That are bigger than me} that uses the 33/36 pressure. I will share your insight with them also. By the way I still have stock tires on mine.
            My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

Working...
            X