X

Cut off my exhaust pipe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut off my exhaust pipe?

So, I'm riding an 06 Kat 600 and my buddy from the bike shop is suggesting that I should just chop the exhaust pipe right behind the foot peg. I'm not sure I wanna lay out the cash for a nice aftermarket pipe, but I'm not a big fan of the long chrome pipe running all along the back right side of my bike.

My buddy says that if I chop off the pipe before the muffler, add a K&N filter, and rejet the carbs I'll get better performance and great sound.

Has anybody else ever tried this? What does it sound like? Is it a good idea?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by HarrisonRider View Post
    So, I'm riding an 06 Kat 600 and my buddy from the bike shop is suggesting that I should just chop the exhaust pipe right behind the foot peg. I'm not sure I wanna lay out the cash for a nice aftermarket pipe, but I'm not a big fan of the long chrome pipe running all along the back right side of my bike.

My buddy says that if I chop off the pipe before the muffler, add a K&N filter, and rejet the carbs I'll get better performance and great sound.

Has anybody else ever tried this? What does it sound like? Is it a good idea?
    No. Straight pipes are bad, and will most likely get you a ticket, not to mention **** off everyone around you. . K&N filters on Kats are a TERRIBLE idea. Just add a Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit and leave everything else alone.

If you want a cheap muffler, look at the Delkevic line. They run about 200 bucks, look good, and sound good too. Just be sure and get a jet kit if you buy one. Mine runs OK without one, but that's the next thing I'm doing.
    Last edited by 05RedKat600; 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Tell your buddy to stop giving crappy advice.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest any of the above.... I would just get a aftermarket pipe, STOCK AIR FILTER, and jet kit.
        Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Your Friend works at a bike shop ? Bicycle shop you mean ?
          Dont do it, save a couple bucks and get a decent aftermarket pipe and a jet kit.
          Read through these forums and educate, you'll get all the REAL info you need.

Be well.
          1990 GSXF 1100
          2011 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            No. Straight pipes are bad, and will most likely get you a ticket, not to mention **** off everyone around you. . K&N filters on Kats are a TERRIBLE idea. Just add a Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit and leave everything else alone.
            Just curious.. why specifically are K&N filters bad for a Kat?

Comment

Too much airflow for the CV carbs. It makes them not work right. They need a certain amount of restriction to operate properly.

When a hi-flow manufacturer gives you a restrictor to install with it, and it still doesn't run right, that's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Tell your buddy to stop giving crappy advice.
                Word
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonRider View Post
                  Just curious.. why specifically are K&N filters bad for a Kat?

K&N is an extreamly popular aftermarket filter maker. So their name gets thrown around alot, but... it's not "specifically" K&N... it's ANY high flow aftermarket filter... which is what K&N makes.

Hi flow filters and CV carbs don't mix well...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

CV stands for constant velocity. You need the "back pressure" you get from the stock air filter.

Comment

this thread is pretty close to my situation. bought my bike with a d&d slip on already installed. air box is still factory but im not sure if it had a jet kit installed or not. am i ok with just the d&d or should i invest in a jet kit to go with it?
                      #whindybackroads>highway

Comment

I always recommend a jet kit, but is it necessary with just a slip on? No. Would I install one? Yes.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

How does it sound??? Loud and upgrading the filter makes tuning a pain I've been inside my carbs at least 30 times re adjusting to compensate for my pods and open exhaust... I got it where I'm happy but I'm sure it by no means perfect. If your budget minded and want something louder look into slip ons or hit up ebay for a used pipe set.
                          1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                          1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                          Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckie29 View Post
                            How does it sound??? Loud and upgrading the filter makes tuning a pain I've been inside my carbs at least 30 times re adjusting to compensate for my pods and open exhaust... I got it where I'm happy but I'm sure it by no means perfect. If your budget minded and want something louder look into slip ons or hit up ebay for a used pipe set.
                            DO NOT change the factory air filter to anything aftermarket. Use the stock air filter.

Comment

Working...
                            X