X

Tire sizes 2006 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire sizes 2006 katana

What is the real advantage to a larger tire in the rear. I understand that more rubber/better traction, but what about when cornering and braking????
    Chris Lovett
    Yazoo City, MS
    2006 Katana 600

There are none, aside from looks. In order to achieve a wide rear tire (wider than 160) you will need a wider wheel and swingarm modification. If you plan on doing extensive modding with an unlimited budget, have at it. Otherwise, just get better versions of the sizes it came with. Metzeler Z6's, Pilot Powers, etc.....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

some reason i thought i heard that a wider tire has smaller contact patch? yeah probably wrong. bikes handle better with skinnier tires. SS bikes and other high hp bikes have the rake to overcome of the slow turning from the wider tires. those bikes don't have wider tires for looks it is because of the higher power output. so keep the stock tire sizes

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Thanks

I will keep this in mind. i just didn't know if there was a "traction" difference in normal driving. I like being able to turn easier/sharper. I think I will stay with the stock size tires.
        Chris Lovett
        Yazoo City, MS
        2006 Katana 600

Comment

Oh yeah

I have heard other people speak highly of the Metzeler Z6's.
          Chris Lovett
          Yazoo City, MS
          2006 Katana 600

Comment

Why do some people from other treads I read see it as diminishing the handling capacity? More rubber = more friction = harder to accelerate but = more capable of turning fast without losing the tail thought...

So 180 is more capable of holding the rear on the ground than 150 but 180 is a lot harder to move forward because of that added constant resistance...

It's true that overall, a weak bike with 180 could perform less on a track with long streches and wide curves... But the contrary is true as well, the 180 would perform better than the 150 on a slower and very curvy track where your strategy is for higher speed cornering!

I would see a similar but less dramatic difference in using 180 or 190 on certain tracks... depending on the strategy needed... gaining few 100th of a second can help in some cases.

With the same idea in mind, on regular road with wider curves and long highway stretches, with the same katana testing 2 tires, the 150 would logically perform better overall if you were to race from point A to point B around town freeways and stuff than the 180. But nothing to do with better handling on the 150... just better accelerations overall. The 180 would takes the hard curves faster yes... but these 2 little occasions here and there on regular road are nothing compared to the 50 stretches!

So... to be able to reach the same acceleration capacity while keeping the cornering capacity of the 180... logically, the only way is to add power. The added power compensate for the acceleration loss and then you can keep the 180 for all purposes.

I mean... that's how I was understanding it so far. I'm a little confused now with all I've read here and there. I have to admit my knowledge is more on the car racing than motorcycle, so I realize there might be important differences that I need to understand better.

I'm new to the forum... Is there some highly competent racing and technical people here to bright my light a little better?

I can park my ego on the side and listen for more precise knowledge if I was wrong so far in my thinking....

thank you all !

Comment

But from what I've read , shoving a phat tire on a rim not designed for it makes the contact patch smaller , don't it ?
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

With your stock wheels most of the tire makers fitment guides say you could run a 160/70 tire. Some even show the stock 150/70 as designed for a 4" rim ideally not the 4.5" as the Kat has.
                The taller 160/70 tire would give the effect of slightly taller gearing. Its affect on handling would probably not be noticable but could make cornering very slightly sluggish / less planted feeling. The difference in contact patch would be so slight I doubt you could detect a difference.
                Any wider tire would be not recommended for your rim.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  But from what I've read , shoving a phat tire on a rim not designed for it makes the contact patch smaller , don't it ?
                  Yeah you are right, you have to change the rim too, and possibly the swing arm depending how big you go... It's good that you mention it because that whole thing adds $$$ to the project.

Comment

Whatever you do change that tire! I'm glad you decided to park it when the cords started showing.

That was a wise decision!
                    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I've got a pilot power 170 60 17 on my 05 kat. No problems with it at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X