No announcement yet.
X

swingarm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what gets some of us a bit rattled is by simply saying...its all stock, it fits, and then proceeding to show images to everyone as if to say "see what are you all taking about...it works great"

Doing things like this, without clarifying that he realizes handling isn't that great and that yes, it is unsafe and is planning on switching back to a smaller size in the future.

Well, that is just the kind of thing that eventually misinforms someone new to the board and possibly new to riding and puts them in a position where they might use the incomplete or incorrect information to believe they too can run a 180 on their stock 4.5" rim (or even worse a pre98 rim).

I just don't like seeing other peoples safety being put at risk because someone else had to put bad information out there.

Comment

Understood, but crazzieaussie is a good guy
      and new to the sport.
      I think you're chastizing rather than teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        and new to the sport.
        Sometimes a certain amount of chastising is necessary to make sure it is clear that the information in question is not something that should be duplicated. I dont know crazzieaussie and I'm sure he's a great person...as you stated the bike came to him that way and it's the disemmination of the misleading information that I'm more concerned with not his character.

If you have a better way that I or anyone else could "teach" in regards to this topic, by all means, let me know.

Comment

In no way are we chastising. He's a good guy. GREAT. He bought the bike that way. FINE. He's STILL riding on a bike that is set up unsafely. PERIOD. Explaining that is not chastising him.

I've already explained why I think that 180 tire does not belong on that bike.

He's new to riding. Let's make sure he is around to enjoy this sport for a long time.

I would like to encourage crazzieaussie to replace that rear tire with something no larger than a 160/60. I think others should do the same. A 160 is the widest tire (still in production) that should ever be installed on a 4.5 rim. It's been stated a million times on this site yet many folks STILL have a burning desire to ignore that fact and push the envelope and go wider and wider.

I guess we're supposed to just cheer him on and tell him that the tire looks great because he's a nice guy and a newbie, eh? Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense...
          -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd

I guess we're supposed to just cheer him on and tell him that the tire looks great because he's a nice guy and a newbie, eh? Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense...
            Yeah thats exactly what I said...
            I guess I'll just shut the fuck up

Comment

Sorry guys for the unrest that my post has created. I've replied to a few different posts on here that I have a 180 tire on my rear WITH the intention of getting a smaller size when I replace. I forgot to add that to this post, and as a beginner, I admit out of ignorance that I did not know the safety hazard posed by such a wide tire. I'm going back to school in Ohio this week and will not be taking my bike and the driving I do is mostly commuting to work (a straight shot) so I hesitate to change the tire now, especially when it was brand new when I got the bike. I will start looking for smaller tires and switch it out when I return home. I suppose the best bet is to sell the current tire, as it still has a lot of miles left.

Once again, thank you all for the concern to my safety and big thanks to Black_Peter for supporting me. This tire is NOT for bling and my post wasn't designed to brag about my tire...just wanted to show that it can be done on a stock tire with stock swingarm. I think we now all realize the safety hazard posed by the wide rear tire and we've all learned a lesson in this fiasco. I recommend we bring this post to a close. Thanks.
              1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie
                I hesitate to change the tire now, especially when it was brand new when I got the bike. I will start looking for smaller tires and switch it out when I return home. I suppose the best bet is to sell the current tire, as it still has a lot of miles left.
                Feel free to email me for an eBay template for tires. I've sold a large number of tires (some slightly used, some heavily used) on eBay, and the ones that are only slightly used often fetch prices as high as what I pay brand new from the discount mail order places... I'd much rather see you riding on a good (and safe) set of tires -- in part, so you know what you're missing by having a 180 shoe-horned in there...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                  and new to the sport.
                  Sometimes a certain amount of chastising is necessary to make sure it is clear that the information in question is not something that should be duplicated. I dont know crazzieaussie and I'm sure he's a great person...as you stated the bike came to him that way and it's the disemmination of the misleading information that I'm more concerned with not his character.

If you have a better way that I or anyone else could "teach" in regards to this topic, by all means, let me know.
                  I would like to know if you have a 180 on the back and a 120 on the front, why would that make handling worse if you have the proper wheel size. Waltari please let us know how you setup is working for you! If you make the proper changes such as Waltari then I can't see why that wouldn't benefit the performance of the handling of said bike.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The point is that he does NOT have the proper size wheel to run a 180.

Even if he did, handling will be slower with a 180 than a 150 or 160. If I could run a 160 on my Mille, I would! A 160 won't provide a large enough contact patch for that bike though. A 180 is easy enough to spin up in a corner.
                    -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                      The point is that he does NOT have the proper size wheel to run a 180.

Even if he did, handling will be slower with a 180 than a 150 or 160. If I could run a 160 on my Mille, I would! A 160 won't provide a large enough contact patch for that bike though. A 180 is easy enough to spin up in a corner.
                      I was stressing the right size wheel for the tire. One problem I have with the 160 on a 3.5" wheel. More contact patch is a good thing especially when you are in the corner's.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                        Originally posted by Waltari
                        and new to the sport.

I would like to know if you have a 180 on the back and a 120 on the front, why would that make handling worse if you have the proper wheel size. Waltari please let us know how you setup is working for you! If you make the proper changes such as Waltari then I can't see why that wouldn't benefit the performance of the handling of said bike.
                        Well, as I've been stressing all along, I'm not implying a 120/180 combo is unsafe or gives poor handling. That or any combo on improperly sized rimes will tend to distort your profile and cause posssible issues with bead seating. My setup...works great...I have a 3.5x17 front rim with a 120 and a 5.5x17 rear rim with a 180. Handling is great....is the turn in slightly slower, yes, a little, but the more agressive stance with the slightly shorter forks seems to have compensated for that a bit.

Comment

Thank you Waltari!! For the review on your awesome machine

I know all about the radius on a 3.5" wheel with a 160, can be a slider
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            I know all about the radius on a 3.5" wheel with a 160, can be a slider
                            Huh? I really have no idea what you meant with your last two questions...
                            -Steve

Comment

Really great stuff guys. thats why I love to read these things.

Comment

Is the Avon 170 ok for a post 98 Kat?

Comment

Working...
                                X