X

Removing front tire with only front stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing front tire with only front stand

Can you do this? I want to remove the front tire of my katana with using the center stand and maybe a front triple stand. Can this be done or does the back have to be on a stand?
    2007 GSXR 750 Blk/Blu
    2002 GSXF 600 Blue

Here's the trick I use:
    Put her on the centre stand, get an old rug or something similar over the back seat and then put a load on the back and secure it. Concrete blocks or a couple of large rocks will do the job nicely but be careful not to damage the seat! As long as the back wheel is firmly on the ground, and the bike and load is secure so it won't tip or spill as you work on it, this will let you take out the front axle and wheel easily.
    - Wolfe

Comment

Paint can under the engine..

Comment

Originally posted by Ythen57 View Post
        Can you do this? I want to remove the front tire of my katana with using the center stand and maybe a front triple stand.
        yes that will work.i use the center stand with a jack under the motor.

Comment

I thought it should work. I know you cant lift a bike from the front with out it on a rear stand so I assumed the center would kinda act like the rear stand.
          2007 GSXR 750 Blk/Blu
          2002 GSXF 600 Blue

Comment

When I got my tires mounted I only had one stand. It lifted under swingarm and under forks. It worked but watch out working around it cause it ain't very stable
            sigpic

Comment

I just had both wheels off to get new tires put on. I put it on the center stand and jacked up the front of the engine to balance it. Like somebody else said, ya gotta be careful because it's not incredibly stable, but it got the job done.
              Attached Files

Comment

put it up on teh center stand, and pull the rear down with a ratchet strap via the luggage rack or the grab handle.

I did this just this past week, works perfect.

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I changed my front tire with just the sidestand once. I strapped the bike from the frame or the triples (I can't remember which) to something angled rearward so the bike sat on just the rear tire and the sidestand. It was hairy, but it worked.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I crank strap mine to the rafters (No center stand)
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

This is where the $50 homemade pipe stand comes in super handy. There are actually two spots on the frame rails with brackets. I swear it's designed to hang from there because with ratchet straps hooked to these spots, the bike will balance perfectly. I also just put a floor jack under the rear shock, just to keep it more stable to work around.

Here's a link with all the info

Comment

just go grab a set of stands... they work on any kind of bike.

I sell front and rear stands combo in my store for $100
                        or $50 each
                        under swing arm and spool attachments on rear stand.
                        and under fork for the front
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                          I crank strap mine to the rafters (No center stand)

Same here (just did this).

Comment

I just bought a reversible pitbull rear stand and the front triple stand for my gsxr. I just ordered a pin for the triple tree and now no worries.
                            2007 GSXR 750 Blk/Blu
                            2002 GSXF 600 Blue

Comment

Working...
                            X