Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

replacing chain and sprockets for first time ever: advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing chain and sprockets for first time ever: advice?

Hey all, I'm replacing my chain and sprocket for the first time ever tomorrow. A few questions:
    1. What are some common pitfalls that newbies run into when doing this job?
    2. Any special tools I should have before I go into it? My friend has a chain breaker, need anything else?
    3. Any parts that need replacing in addition to the ones mentioned? I know sometimes stuff gets destroyed no matter what when taking the bike apart, not sure if that applies here.
    4. Finally, I have no center stand. But there is a staircase with a decent sized space below it that'll fit the Kat with some room to spare. My plan is to suspend it by running cargo straps from the metal railing to the cargo attachments under the seat (part of the frame, I figure it can support the weight)
    Any precautions I can take?
    Thanks for any and all advice.

Be careful..
    There isn"t much to changing the rear sprocket.
    Unless your friend has a really good chain tool use a grinder to break the old chain. Some chain tools are only good for so many uses. Before you take off the chain, in fact before you loosen it, block the rear wheel with a 2X4 to hold the rear wheel while you break lose the large front sprocket nut. (unless you have an impact wrench) Lock tite on the nut retaining screw is always a good plan. Since you will have the front sprocket off look at your clutch push rod. The seal the rod fits through can only be changed with the sprocket off.
    So It's kinda like changing he water pump when you do the timing belt.
    The rod pulls right out
    Clean up that rod while your in there and check your clutch mechanism.
    Also check the clutch cable under the cover. Finally do your self a favor and clean all that gunked up old chain lube and dirt.
    When replacing the sprocket cover be careful of the neutral switch wire and the side stand wire.
    Last edited by Black_peter; 02-13-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Be careful..
      There isn"t much to changing the rear sprocket.
      Unless your friend has a really good chain tool use a grinder to break the old chain. Some chain tools are only good for so many uses. Before you take off the chain, in fact before you loosen it, block the rear wheel with a 2X4 to hold the rear wheel while you break lose the large front sprocket nut. (unless you have an impact wrench) Lock tite on the nut retaining screw is always a good plan. Since you will have the front sprocket off look at your clutch push rod. The seal the rod fits through can only be changed with the sprocket off.
      So It's kinda like changing he water pump when you do the timing belt.
      The rod pulls right out
      Clean up that rod while your in there and check your clutch mechanism.
      Also check the clutch cable under the cover. Finally do your self a favor and clean all that gunked up old chain lube and dirt.
      When replacing the sprocket cover be careful of the neutral switch wire and the side stand wire.
      +1
      sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
      www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Thanks to OP for the question and Black Peter for the answer. I'm planning to do this soon too, so this is useful info!

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Looks like the pics went dead... I guess that means Andy is takin photos when we do his chain and sprockets.
          Last edited by steves; 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Unless you plan on taking the swingarm off, you'll need a chain riveter to rivet the chain in place. If it's already riveted or riveted while off the bike, you'll need to remove the swingarm to get the chain on.

If you're replacing the front sprocket, note that it has a pretty large nut on it. If you don't have a socket that large, a big crescent wrench should do. Despite its size, mine actually wasn't on super-tight. Loosen the nut before taking off the chain (or possibly before even lifting the bike). If the bike is lifted, you will need to put something through the rear wheel to stop it from turning while you loosen/tighten the nut.

Take note of where the spacers are when you take out the rear axle, so you can put them back in the right order.

You should replace the cotter pins (rear axle and I think the linkage to the rear caliper).

Comment

This was the first thing I did on my 05 and if you gather the tools first and stay organized it is a very simple process. Like some have mentioned do NOT take the chain off until you have loosened the front sprocket nut.
              Last edited by Assimve; 02-14-2010, 01:36 PM. Reason: Fat Finger Syndrome
              Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Two words...cheater bar...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Any tips on taking off the 8 links I need to remove to make it fit? Using a chain breaker to push the rivet out and it's just pushing the link apart, not pushing the rivet through. I think i broke the new chain, I'll post pictures later.

Comment

Did you grind the head off of the rivet first?

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                      Did you grind the head off of the rivet first?
                      That would have been the smart thing to do, now wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Staerke View Post
                        Any tips on taking off the 8 links I need to remove to make it fit? Using a chain breaker to push the rivet out and it's just pushing the link apart, not pushing the rivet through. I think i broke the new chain, I'll post pictures later.
                        Yer doin it wrong.
                        Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm using this tool:

Not to put the master link on of course but to push out the old link...doesn't work as well as I'd like.

Comment

Working...
                          X