X

suspension

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension

Can I adjust my rear and front shocks I know it says in the sticky but I can only find one adjust point on top of my forks. Also one side of the forks sticks through the triple tww about a liitle less than half an inch higher on the right side then on the left. what is this all about did this happen when I crashed or is that an adjustment the previous owner might ave made I have a 96 600 thank you

The dials on the top of the fork doesn't really do much. You can stiffen up the front with the sticky mod and/or moving up to a heavier weight fork oil up front. I recently just drained out the stock 10wt and put in 15wt.

For the rear you can adjust the preload on it by using the tool from the tool kit to turn the collar type thing at the bottom of the rear shock.

Comment

The dials on the forks should do something..
      If they truely don't they are broken or your forks need a rebuild (or you have no oil)

The forks should also be exactly the same height
      above the triple tree! This will cause you all sort of worry!
      What are you trying to get out of the suspension?

Comment

what tool kit? I don't have a tool kit.
        what do the dials on top do?
        I want my suspension to be more rigid I am 6'3'' and 235 with my 120# girlfriend on the back or just me there is too much play and roughness over any small pumps. Althogh I dont think ther is anything wrong with my shocks but i guess I realy wouldn't know

Comment

That may be too much weight for your poor old shock . I'm 150-ish , and took a passenger who had a few pounds on me , and my shock was bottoming at 7 . Was all it had , but it wasn't enough .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by ashtonbeste
            what tool kit? I don't have a tool kit.
            what do the dials on top do?
            I want my suspension to be more rigid I am 6'3'' and 235 with my 120# girlfriend on the back or just me there is too much play and roughness over any small pumps. Althogh I dont think ther is anything wrong with my shocks but i guess I realy wouldn't know
            (A) As Black_peter pointed out, the forks should always be absolutely even in the triple-trees. If they aren't for any reason, correct it now.
            (B) The stock tool kit that comes with the bike is normally hidden back by the tail light under the seat if it's still there. Within it are tools that let you do a number of mechanical things, including changing plugs, and adjusting the suspension. If you don't have a toolkit in the bike, start searching eBay or order one through your dealer (eBay will normally be cheaper).
            (C) At the top of the fork is a slotted bolt. On pre-98 Kats, that has three positions, from full-counterclockwise rotating clockwise. These positions represent the opening size for a valve that controls the oil movement within the shock -- the oil acts as a damper for the spring. Further clockwise is a smaller opening (more damping). The 98+ Kats have four positions, with stock position being the second click. On either generation, always stop on the click-stops and always keep both left and right shocks set to the same number of clicks.
            (D) The oil in forks breaks down over time, and should be replaced every other year (as well as the fork seals). If it hasn't been done in 3+ years, the oil is probably toast and the shocks will feel like crap, because the oil has thinned to the point of providing no resistance.
            (E) For 98+ Kats, I sell Ohlin fork springs, which are a serious upgrade over the stock springs, and suitable for heavier riders (ride loads over 180 lbs) and those who really push their Kats. It will virtually eliminate fork dive. I don't have the cross-reference for pre-98's, so neither I nor Ohlins knows what size spring it takes -- but if you can find me the correct measurements, I can probably match it.
            (F) The rear shock has a couple adjustments that can be made to it, including controlling the oil opening size (damping) and the amount of precompression that can be placed on the spring (preload). Preload changes require a special spring tool to change the setting -- that tool is normally part of the under-seat stock toolkit.

For a more detailed discussion on how suspension systems work and what can be done, see http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19775

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. How do I find the rearshock size so black peter can find one for my bike. I also wonder if there are any srep by step instructionf for changing the oil and maybe the springs in a pre.

Comment

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You're getting bad CP...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    You're getting bad CP...

I may be, but I didn't see you answer him either

ashtonbeste, there are threads already in existence with all the information you are asking for, including virtually every question you are likely to come up with. Try searching for them first, and then if you can't find them, ask again.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Originally posted by Black_peter
                      You're getting bad CP...

I may be, but I didn't see you answer him either
                      Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

I say "bad" in that you are using the "search" graphic as much as me!!
                      So thats bad in a good way

Comment

Working...
                      X