Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Going from USA to South America on a KAT!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn awesome, hope to hear more about this!

Comment

Why go all the way there??? Just ride around California for the month.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Hi everyone,

Let me first thank you for all the responses and all the support much needed.

I will most definitely post pictures and information of this trip day after day as it goes by...

For those of you that want to know about the Darien Gap, let me tell you that it was one of my main concerns, and doing research i have found a little hotel that has established some trips with couple of sailing boats and ships that go from panama to Cartagena-Colombian port and from there you can continue to SA.
        They have arrainged that you can ship your bike and your self from Puerto Lindo, Panama, they stop for two days in the San Blas Isalnds of Panama. In this untouched paradise you can snorkel in pristine waters which envelope palm tree covered islands with white sandy beaches. After four to five days we reach Cartegena, Colombia, an ancient town with a fortress from which you can admire the vast blue sea. Beautiful old houses with carved balconies in the downtown area of Cartagena are protected by the city walls, from which one can stroll around and enjoy the old city whilst also appreciating the sea views.
        So what it seems like a problem now looks like a vacation!!!

here is the link

I really apreciate the support from you all, i will be posting pictures soon, i am finishing the bike and getting most of what i think i need for the trip, i also may say that the goal is to reach South America, i am taking day after day, no schedules, no time restrains, no plans, just hit the road and live by it, life will develop anyways... may be i'll end up in Patagonia...God knows...

Thanks again.
        FD

Comment

I had heard of the sail boats that make that little journey. Pretty pricey, if I remember correctly, though. (~$1000 usd, for bike and person?) Seems like a plan though. I had wanted to drive to SA sometime, but the cost to get a car around that same problem is even higher. Best of luck to you, and make sure you keep a thread open about your journey.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well yes its a little bit expensive, about 700 dollars to ship the bike and my self, but its a safe option, besides are 4 days with food included so...
            there are some other options I guess...I'll find out when i get there...

Comment

Finally some pictures....

I also want to add that i am not a rich person or have tons of money, just have the dream to ride, and since there is no wife... no kids...(that i know) and recently laid off, have tried to find a job, but you guys know whats the economy like...
              so what the heck!!! use the little savings i have and live!!!

OK, this is my ride, let me introduce the blue Katana,

I have installed the Givi option for rear trunk, 46L.
              Now i found that givi does not sell the 2002 rear kit no more... so what i do?, purchased the 2003 and make it work...
              after adjustments didn't came bad at all.

Now I had my soft saddle bags from another bike i had, they fit perfectly on the Kat, I have pack everything i need for the trip as far as clothes and all fitted there without expanding the bags!!!
              That's why i like this bags over the hard cases, unless you go with expandable cases that usually are very expensive.

I am trying to be cautious not to bring too much stuff to overweight the bike yet not to little so i might need something on the road, all the tools are inside the compartment under the seat even some parts i might need, oil filter, spark plugs, even a funnel is in there...

Also i have installed the EBC HH brake pads front and rear so they should last at least 10k miles, I purchased both new Shinko tires for the Kat as well, i had this tires before and they are hard compound, in the last bike i had i put 12k miles in a new set with out any problems, so that's why i decided on this tires.
              Installed also a K&N oil filter, and thanks to you guys did not purchase the k&n air filter. you guys suggested and i listen the experienced community...

I also upgraded the little horn this bike came with for a bigger truck size one, fitted in the Kat no problem...
              installed the NGK Iridium plugs, so they should last some time...

Installed Gel Grips for a comfortable ride..

Also found a 1 inch extended light smoked windshield...

And this mirror things that have save me couple of times...

I also have changed all the lighting of the bike and installed LED all around, signals, Taillight, HID headlamps, even the lights in side the ODO are now LED... and the license plate too...

So there you have it guys!!
              that's mi Kat, love the bike... have taken it apart and put together 3 times already... great Sport Tourer to the test!!!
              if any of you have any advice, I'll be glad to hear and I am still thinking a name for the bike, so suggestions are welcome...

Im working on the rest of the pictures, so see ya soon!!
              FD
              Last edited by FDuranCol; 08-11-2009, 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ride in the rain much? I always had trouble with the engine missing when riding in the rain (possibly aggravated by my lack of fairing), so I sealed up where the wires exit the coils with RTV and put dielectric grease in my spark plug boots. I should have also put RTV around my ignition module, but I forgot and had trouble with it later.

I also ruined my chain by the end of my trip, likely from not lubricating often enough, so keep the chain lube easily accessible and use it at every fill-up.

I carried an extra gallon of gas with me, which was comforting to have when I started dipping into the reserve. It could be more trouble than it's worth though if you don't have a good place to mount it.

Comment

have to say wish i could go along for the ride.

Comment

Sounds great. Keep in mind that the Kat wheels bend easy. Once down there, you could remove an inch of fork oil. it may help with the so called roads down there.

Originally posted by FDuranCol View Post
                    Hello everybody...

I want to share this will be Adventure with all of you,
                    I have always dreamed about a big motorcycle trip.
                    So, as you guys know, i just got my beloved 2002 Kat and i been doing maintenance an installing new stuff for my trip, yep THE trip...
                    Everything is going well and I'm almost ready....
                    I'm just finishing up some paperwork with immigration, all should be clear by the end of this month, so i am delayed but not given up..
                    My new departure will be by Sept 15, its a set date...

I am 31 years young, ridden in south America, some what... bike mechanic... and fluent Spanish. i guess that helps a lot...

I have a Suzuki Katana (Sport Tourer) with all the luggage, bike is only 7K miles and fully serviced. i also have challenged my self on this bike as far as how long i can ride with it no stop, and my last trip to the mountains i put 200 miles one way lunch for 30 min, gas, and 200 miles back in aprox 7 hours, average speed 50 mi in the canyons, so i feel i can handle it no problem.

In the other hand i am not in a hurry and i expect to be in Central America for a month, maybe more if needed. I also plan once in Cent America, ride early in the morning for 3 hours, stop rest lunch rest some more and then hit the road for another 3 hours maybe 40 to 60 miles speed average. witch is a good speed down there... and then look for a hotel / motel / a place to sleep... that's basically the idea, also try to hit interesting points and towns, on the weekends it's better to rest... and party ( may be... lol) well i don't drink but c'mon there may be few senoritas to meet.... 2

anyway so that's it, at soonest i hit south of the border my plan is no plan... no hurry and looking to absorb the most of the culture in every town... ride of a lifetime...

I also will be in Colombia for a little while...

I will be posting pictures of the bike and the mods and the luggage so ill keep you guys updated.

Fernando.

Comment

I am so jealous!!!!! I want to come too.

I think because this is such a great adventure, you should name your bike Magellan
                      Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Sounds like a helluva trip!

Comment

dont forget 40 gallons of chain lube!

Comment

Before you depart, make sure you have an itinerary posted with someone who can keep tabs on your whereabouts. Also, for the countries you are visiting, check here:http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...s/cis_994.html for any "hot spots" to be aware of. Seems like you have most everything else covered in regard to the Kat, but bring along a piece of mesh to use as a "sock" when fueling up down there - just in case the fuel isn't as refined. Make sure to take enough memory cards, and take lots of pics!
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

oh... and be careful with those HH pads on the rear... if you barely touch the brake the rear will lock. I was told to only use them on the fronts.

Comment

be safe and enjoy the ride!

Comment

Working...
                                X