X

Help!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

Ok First let me say I'm a total newb at this whole motorcycle thing I bought my first motorcycle a 1990 Suzuki katana Everything was okay but had high while idling at about 3400. I research the carburetor RPM screw Man found on the left side in between a hole on the fairing. I did what it said on the internet and then as i tightened it some sort of seal popped and now the bottom metal half of that compartment that actually hold the screw is gone and is leaking gas like a civ. Do I need a brand-new carburetor to fix that one little piece or is there certain name for that piece or the housing that I can just buy, Or would it be less of a headache to just figure out a way to seal it and leave it as is??? Plz help
    Last edited by Castleninja; 10-04-2012, 12:50 AM.

I have no idea what you just said.

Comment

well it seems like the idle screw on the side had come undone and is now leaking fuel out of where the seal was like a sieve.

Anyhow found in search "I'm pretty sure on the 88 the screw is in the center of the #2 and #3 float bowls.

If your adjuster fell out (any model) the easiest way to replace it is to pull the carbs, stick the adjuster back in, and turn it to the right."

i guess as yours is a 90 it will be like the 88 year model.
      I'm outa here

Comment

Yes but the bottom metal piece that holds the lower threads for the screw broke off too, is there a name for the piece that the screw goes into? And is it replaceable or just have to replace the whole carb?

Comment

Ok so it turns out that is was actually one if the cylinders to the carb. The last cylinder on the carb on the left hand side with the screw sticking out. Is there a way to just replace that one cylinder or do I have to replace the whole carb?

Comment

Take a photo and post it. It'll definitely help with figuring out exactly what you broke.

(Wrote this before your last post.)
            From the sounds of it, by tightening, rather than loosening (as you should have done to lower the idle speed) the idle adjuster you managed to break off the lower connecting point, taking a chunk out of the side of the carb body. You won't know for sure until you get the carbs out but it certainly sounds like you're going to have to replace the #3 carb body.

While you've got the carbs out you may as well just plan on cleaning all four carbs. It's a pretty common trick to turn up the idle really high (like to 3,400!) to compensate for clogged idle passages long enough to get a bike sold.

With all that said, finding just one carb body for sale may be a challenge. Add to that the fact that you don't normally have chunks breaking off a carb body unless there's some pretty serious corrosion and since the spot that broke is pretty well protected (so it should have less corrosion than the rest of the carbs), you're going to have fun with the other three. If you're not very comfortable with the idea of working on carbs it may be time to think about buying a whole set of carbs that are already rebuilt. Contact Arsenic. (Does business on ebay as arsenic1016.) He does carbs for a living and may be willing to give you some trade-in credit for your old carbs provided they're useable. (Don't count on it in this case but it's possible.)
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ok thank you I can't figure out how to post a picture I'm on mobile web right now. And by looking at a picture online it was a screw sticking out further than usual on either the first or fourth carb :/ but If I can just change a single one out that would be good too instead of a full new one. I appreciate the reply.

Comment

It's the first and 3rd, not 1st and 4th. On the little nub on the first carb isn't always there and it's never threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Castleninja View Post
                  Ok thank you I can't figure out how to post a picture I'm on mobile web right now. And by looking at a picture online it was a screw sticking out further than usual on either the first or fourth carb :/ but If I can just change a single one out that would be good too instead of a full new one. I appreciate the reply.

I think I got it...

He over tightened the drain screw (sticks out further on both 1 and 4, actually mentioning there is more than one... ) , never touched the "idle" screw... so his bowl is cracked and leaking.

Replace the bowl. Learn where the real idle adjustment screw is.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ah thank you ya that sounds more like it

Comment

it sounds like he broke the tab the holds the idle adjuster to the carb body. if thats the case you need a carb or at least a good carb body.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                      X