X

Trying to replace ignition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to replace ignition

I had my seat lock destroyed and my seat stolen recently. I bought a lock set off of a crashed bike from eBay. That's the easy part. The hard part, there's a stripped star bit screw holding it in there. I got the first one no problem, moved to the second and found that it was stripped out. ANY ideas how to get that out? Preferably easily? The other one had some amazing strong threadlocker on it, Suzuki did not want me to get that thing apart.

got a picture? also fill out your bike info in your profile or garage so we can better help you out.

Maybe vice grips, or dremel a slot in the head of the screw/bolt and use a flat screw driver?

you are very lucky that they only stole the seat.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Since it's already tore up, just drill into it, and then use a screw extractor. Better start looking for a new one. You could also slot it like the other fellow said, but I can't say that I've ever had too much luck, it's either hit or miss. If it's got threadlock on it, it will probably need heated up to make it easy to come out. That is if it can be heated safely.
      1995 Kat 600

Comment

Here are the pictures. From the second it's pretty obvious the slotting option won't work. Thankfully I have two screws from the ignition I bought as a replacement so that shouldn't be too hard. I don't know if you can tell from the picture (the glare was rough) but there's a star head with a little nipple in the middle (I'm assuming it's a decently effective theft deterrant since the first 3 hardware stores I went to didn't have one big enough, it's a TT40 for those who care to know). So...drill a hole (that nipple will make that a pain) and use a screw extractor?

Another friggin trip to Lowe's.

img017.jpg

img018.jpg

Comment

if you drill, use a drill just slightly larger than the thread size. then just drill enough so the head of the bolt separates from the threads. then you have something to grip onto with vice-grips.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I would drill at all. Take a center punch and a hammer and knock the screw counter clockwise

Comment

The screw is recessed, only option is a screw extractor. Drilled it...put the extractor in there...damned thing broke. Now there's a screw and a screw extractor tip in there...it's a mess. Any ideas?

Comment

center punch and a hammer, a screw extractor is NOT the only option, you just gotta be smarter then the screw I do see were a screw extractor would be a whole lot easier. You've got a few options, Drill the head of the screw off then take the ignition switch off and use needle nose vice grips to get the rest of the screw out. Or drill the whole thing out and tap it a size bigger. OR, drill the broken screw extractor out and use 1 size bigger for an extractor.
                Last edited by arsenic; 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

But how can I get a center punch in when there's no angle? It's recessed about 2/3 of an inch so I can't come from the side.

Comment

screw extractors suck. you never should have taken that route. when they snap, you are pretty much f'ked cuz you can't drill them. you should have followed my suggestion. with a recessed head like that, it is pretty much your only option.

now you probably will end up having to remove the whole dash assembly and drill it from the backside. then tap it to the next size up.

however, the switch is toast anyway, so just take a dremel and cut the switch away around the bolt, without cutting into the bolt....then get a set of vice grips on it. in fact, try that.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I agree that a better way is to drill the head off. Small screw extractors are not good..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        I agree that a better way is to drill the head off. Small screw extractors are not good..

these ones have always worked well for me

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Can you go ahead and send me those professional screw extractors yesterday before I went and f*cked it up?

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post

these ones have always worked well for me
                            What brand are those??
                            Do they go down to a 6mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              What brand are those??
                              Do they go down to a 6mm?
                              They are Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand). I would expect that craftsman has something similar. They work great...one end is used to drill into the screw a bit and the other end is for the extraction. I have not run up against a screw that has been too much for them. Not sure of the sizing.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X