X

Gear fitment question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear fitment question

what's up everyone? i've been on this forum for the past couple of weeks, surfing in the shadows thought i'd say hi!

anyway, i'm taking delivery on my new katana in a few weeks. i'm taking the motorcycle safety course this weekend, then i can pick it up, and start learning!

so, i'm ordering my gear right now, and i can't decide on what direction to go.

I'm a pretty big guy (5'11, 190lbs), and i want to know what kind of jacket to get. anyone out there similiar build as me (read: fat) have any jacket reccomendations? the place i'm buying my bike from really only carries dirt bike gear, so any reccomendations would be highly appreciated!
    "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

I'm 6' 205# my joe rocket leather jacket is a 46. It used to fit great when i was 190# but the winter wasn't very kind to my midsection, so now it fits a little tight. It's still fit's good, it's just that now i don't have extra room for a heavy sweater underneath. And contary to popular belief, fat is not a very effective insulating layer.

Comment

My advice is to take the time to visit various motorcycle shops in your area and try on different brands & sizes. Different manufacturers have slightly different sizing -- for example, AlpineStars are usually cut pretty straight for thin people, while Joe Rocket tends to fit guys with bigger chests.

General rules:
      (1) There is no substitute for good quality leather, period. It will give you the highest degree of protection in a spill, least likely to wear through, helps dissipate speed (nylon turns you into a hockey puck on some surfaces), and won't melt from abrasion. Kangaroo leather is the toughest available, good cow leather comes second. Cattle leather from Brazil & Japan is highly prized because of the fact that in both places barb wire fences usually aren't used, meaning the leather is unlikely to have any places where it's weak. Fewer sewn seams means less likely to give during an slide or wreck. Look for 1.1 to 1.4mm thickness leather for jackets, and the ability to replace the pads (see #5 for more info).

(2) Gloves should fit snugly, have extra protection in the palms, and some method of keeping the tight at the wrist (to keep them from coming off in a fall & spin). Again, leather is king, and kangaroo leather is the best you can get. Inserts (studs, kevlar, etc) are nice, but make sure they actually fit your knuckles, etc., otherwise they may cause more problems than they help.

(3) Boots should be well over the ankle, steel toed, preferably steel heeled and preferably have some form of reinforcement over the ankle. The boot's biggest job is to keep your foot from rotating past it's range of motion (which can snap tendons and shatter bones). Proper racing boots are good, but if they're too pricey for you or you need to walk long distances in the same boots, look for possible alternatives such as specialty combat boots that still have the features you need (WW2 tanker boots have steel toe, heal and some degree of rotation protection). Riding with sneakers, casual shoes, etc., is a recipe for disaster, especially during your first few years.

(4) Helmet. Lots of good helmets on the market -- making sure the fit to your head is really good is the most critical part. I'm sure others will chime in here.

(5) Legs -- most riders forget this. Proper riding pants, or at least draggin' brand jeans (or equivilent), which have extra layering in them to help keep them from wearing through. Best pants will have padding or at least pockets for inserting padding at the knees, shins, hips.

(6) Aftermarket pads. Yes, virtually all the jackets, pants on the market will have pads. Most of the pads are pretty cheap crud in my opinion, being made from a single or dual-density foam. Look for GP-style hard armor replacement pads; these will be made of a dense foam on the inside and a hard plastic (think ABS) on the outside, and take substancially more punishment without letting the road take away skin.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey, thanks for the input!

i live in wyoming, so there aren't really any shops close to my area that carry this kind of stuff.

salt lake city is about two and a half hours away. would you guys suggest i drive down there to pick out a jacket and pants? i understand how super important gear is, but i really hate to drive down to utah.

it seems ridiculous to me that the store i'm buying my bike at doesn't have a better selection. i guess there just isn't much of a market for safety in this town
        "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

Find a dealer that does sell stuff and go try some on. I've found a 44 JR leather jacket very snug, while a 44 Teknic while snug, was more roomy. Most size charts are merely a recomendation and not 100% accurate.

From what others have said the European stuff is for skinny guys, if you have a beer gut watch out. Another thing is if you read some reviews over at motorcyclegearreview.com is different jackets from the same company in the same size fit differently.
          Kyle

Comment

Make the trip. If you're concerned enough about your well-being to get gear, get gear that fits well and works well. Especially in an area that has so much desolate space to have an accident in without a hospital close by... Either that, or talk your local dealership into being willing to order a number of items for you to try on and sending the rest back (usually there's shipping & restocking fees involved for them, so they're unlikely to go for it unless you defray their costs).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

most definately.. gear is an investment as so of your life as it is in your checkbook, check that, more so an investment in your life and well being.. so it pays to take the time to go try some on, and find exactly what fits and works for you.

Generally speaking, like others have said, trying it on at your dealership will give u a basic idea of the sizes you'll need, then u can go buy it online and save ALOT of cash.

Comment

Working...
              X