X

1992 Katana 13/45 SET UP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Katana 13/45 SET UP

Hi everyone. I have owned my 1992 katana for a few years now. Its been a great bike. its a 600 with Vance and Hines exhaust. its not the fastest on take off but has good top end. Anyway I had a crash a week ago so I had to take the bike a part to fix it back and decided to change the gearing. it had 15 front and 45 rear. I went with a 13 front 45 rear set up. have any of yall tired that before and how did it work.

I'm sure someone has, I produce custom sprockets and 13 is too small of a radius for the chain, it puts too much pressure on the rollers. I recommend sticking with the 15 up front and changing the rear.
    Last edited by GSXFJim; 12-25-2014, 10:11 PM.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Agree....
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1
        Going to wear the sprocket down really fast and strain that chain so it's shot quickly.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

13/15 will put him at what? About 10,000 RPMs @ 35MPH???
          I bet it will have great takeoff speed though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I run a 15/50 setup... which is really close to what you got going on with out the small front sprocket to increase the wear.

It works great for me with my primary riding always on side curvy roads. Interstate riding for any length of time sucks due to the higher rpms, but it's manageable for the amount of time I'm on them.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              13/15 will put him at what? About 10,000 RPMs @ 35MPH???
              I bet it will have great takeoff speed though.
              Fred he posted 13/45
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

1992 Katana 13/45 SET UP

Thanks for every ones input. I actually went with a 13/46 set up. I will let you know how it works out for me

Comment

Hope you have an extra chain, you didn't listen, if Jim is saying 13 isn't good, it isnt. 14 is the minimum. You could of gotten the same ratio using the 14.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                    Fred he posted 13/45
                    I know KT, what I was implying was with that sprocket ratio his RPMs will be way to high to be of any use.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                      I know KT, what I was implying was with that sprocket ratio his RPMs will be way to high to be of any use.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Ohh...

Comment

I had already ordered it before posting this. when it wears out I will change the front. no big deal the jt front and rear and extended chain was like 250.00 dollars so know big deal. Its not going to hurt my pocket any. Im just trying to get the best performance out of it in a 1/4 mile track. Thanks for your input
                          Last edited by timsz28; 12-31-2014, 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ok, so you drag racing a 600 KAT??? Good luck with that.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Why do you say that. You act like a katana is slow. Don't get me wrong its not as fast as my 2000 zx12r. But its not slack. I ran it before. It ran 12.10 which is fair. Im thinking with the gearing it will run around low 11's. plus you can always add a turbo for around 800 dollars. Then my zx12r would not touch the katana. just saying not trying to start anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X