X

Low fork oil level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fork oil level

A general question due to issues a friend is having with his Ninja 250.

He has a leaky seal in one fork leg, has known about it for some time and asked me to ride it and see what I thought. To me the brakes were obviously compromised due to contamination, but it seemed to me (and him too, I found out later) that it handled, well, funny. Nothing I could really put my finger on, but it cornered somewhat erratically, not to the point of being unsafe, just seemed like it wanted to wander a bit more than it should while leaned over. Even in a straight line over bumpy roads it seemed to want to go off track easier and a bit more often than I am used to on my bike.

So I guess my question is twofold. Did the Ninja feel that way to me just because it is a lighter bike overall? Or could the fork oil being at different levels in the two fork legs be the cause of the "loose" feeling that I noticed.

Yes, I am helping him this weekend to get the seal repair done.

my Kat did the same, not enough to panic but enough to make you :
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Yeah, I had a leak on the Kat (noticed the seal was weak by the slight shine to the top seal rubber) so bought the kits and rebuilt them during the summer, well before I felt anything wrong and before the oil was dribbling down the fork leg. My friend with the Ninja has not been quite so proactive though...

I'd guess that is how I would describe the feeling of the handling as well, just makes you go Hmmmm...

but not up to the level of

A follow up question: Can the brake pads be cleaned and reused once coated in fork oil, or just toss and replace. He's a bit of a cheap ass so I'm thinking of this question ahead of time...

Comment

I wouldn't risk it... $40 vs my life?
        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

My thought exactly, but I KNOW he'll ask....

Comment

Only 1 rotor / 1 calliper up front on those, so you want to know it will work.

Comment

Working...
            X