Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

a few notes on katana Starters... pre/post...600/750...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few notes on katana Starters... pre/post...600/750...

and no, they aren't all the same either... I found this the hard way...

I recently blew out a starter, and Steve had a pre-98 Katana starter he said I could have.
    So, went and retrieved it, got home, went to install....the starter shaft will not fit.... the starter had a different spline count.

after some part # research, it appears that the following is why...

the pre-98 750 and 600 take a different starter... as in physically different not just a part number different...and a physically different and different part # starter clutch idle gear to match the starter.

the pre 750 has a 10 tooth/spline gear on the starter that interfaces with the starter idle gear, the operates the starter clutch.

the pre 750 starter On the right in the attached pic), part #31100-20C00, fits 89=97 GSXF 750, and the GS500, and some model years GSXR750s

the pre 600, and the POST 98 750 AND 600 use a 9 tooth/spline starter gear that interfaces with a different tooth count idle gear that engages the starter clutch. this starter has some physical diffs, and diff part numbers, but will interchange with no real problems.

so, the 1989-97 600 starter will fit pre98 600s and post 98 600s AND 750s... but the pre750 starter will not fit any Katana but the pre750.

also, the basic dimensions (length/diameter) of the starter body and caps are slightly different, to install a pre600 starter in a post 98, you'll need to disconnect and move the main oil feed line for the head out of the way temporarily so you can get the starter in place....then reattach the line.

You'll also have to either replace the starter relay cable from the relay to starter with one that fits the older and larger diameter positive terminal on the pre98 starter, or just use a reamer to open up the ring terminal for the larger post...

hope this helps
    Attached Files
    Last edited by steves; 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread
Working...
X