X

Tried to remove decals... can't get the glue off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to remove decals... can't get the glue off

So... I peeled all the stickers off with a hairdryer. I cannot get the glue off. I've used the turtle wax bug and tar remover, I also tried Goo-Gone. Nothing is working. I've accidentally scratched the plasic in one spot, but I think I may be able to buff that out. Does anyone have any suggestions to get this off? Can I just buff it off you think? It's a 96, so the glue has had ages to harden. I'm able to scratch at it, and it will barely come off, but I'm afraid I'll make the scratches worse. And it looks absolutly horendous right now. Thanks in advace

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Bruh, I pain with you. You and I have the exact same year and color; I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Tried all the chemicals you list including rubbing compound. The last attempt will be a heavy cut polish! I was going to post a warning for all Pre's about removing decals, but was waiting until I came up with a viable solution to remove the residue. I met a guy who does custom painting and he feel confident he has a chemical that will remove the residue. But until then, I roll fast enough that onlookers can't see the gook! I will hate to have to have her repainted since the paint job was excellent prior! BP said he used a fine sand paper, but I'm not sure if he repainted after???
    Round Rock, TX

Comment

I used a product called "oops". Worked great.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Try goof off? Gasoline as a last resort....

Some of the residue on mine seemed to have "bled" through the clear coat.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's not so much the chemical you use , but it seems you NEED some elbow grease behind it . I just left mine sit . It'll attract ALOT of dirt , but the dirt DOES come off fairly easy .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I went to a local parts store, they only had the backing not the actual rubber. The kit runs $28; honestly didn't want to blow another dime to not get the desired results. If anyone else with a "PRE" uses this devise and is satisfied then I will drop the doe.
              Round Rock, TX

Comment

What?!
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by jrocatx
                  I went to a local parts store, they only had the backing not the actual rubber. The kit runs $28; honestly didn't want to blow another dime to not get the desired results. If anyone else with a "PRE" uses this devise and is satisfied then I will drop the doe.
                  Those sure look like pre-98 fairings to me. Yep...his profile says it's a 93. Guess that qualifies as someone who is satisfied...
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

I just ordered one. I'll let you guys know in a few days how it turns out. Thanks everyone. Someone suggested by IM to use 3M adhesive remover. I'll try that if this doesn't work.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I had a real stubborn spot of glue so I simply put a terry cloth towel in my electric sander and used goo gone. It came out in no time.

My electric sander has a rubber base and I was really careful about how I used it. No scratches at all. The lazy mans solutions work occasionally.
                      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

3M adhesive remover...$3 @ wal mart

I have the adhesive remover, a buffer, a mini-tool (dremel), but after reading I am still nervous about pulling on the decal! My bike is new. Only 2000 miles. I like the look of no decals and want them all off, but I cannot make myself go for it . I would like some advice. Should I forget it?
                        James71[/img]
                        Attached Files
                        Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

It's odd, but I use electronic cleaner to get off sticky stuff.
                          Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                            What?!
                            He's saying that his stickers are tougher because of the age , hence the request for opinions from more "PRER" owners ....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

use wd40, spray on and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe with a clean cloth. repeat as needed and make sure you use a clean spot on the cloth each time or it smears glue everywhere. this works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X