X

THINKING ABOUT BUYING A KATANA 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THINKING ABOUT BUYING A KATANA 750

Need convincing... I have been reading your forum a bit and seems like there's a lot to complain about for a lot of people. For myself, if I do buy one I would raise the grips. Leans a tad more than I like. Even my FZ1 has better ergos. Also thinking about the new 2006 FZ1 as well, so why all the hoot about a bike that's practically never been truly upgraded?

Not trying to start shitola, just asking for honest ride impressions. I am 6'2", 180# and 36" inseam. Sat on a 750 at the store and it was nice. Tried to put it on the centerstand and about tossed my back out!

Stan

Re: THINKING ABOUT BUYING A KATANA 750

Originally posted by Wabbit45
    Need convincing...
    not sure about anyone else here, but i for one dont see any commission. if you dont want one dont buy one. sounds like your mind is made up already.
    03 katanika

Comment

Re: THINKING ABOUT BUYING A KATANA 750

Originally posted by iwannadie
      Originally posted by Wabbit45
      Need convincing...
      not sure about anyone else here, but i for one dont see any commission. if you dont want one dont buy one. sounds like your mind is made up already.
      +1 We're not going to push you to buy a bike and then listen to you complain about it to us. Buy what feels right for you, not what people you've never met tell on an internet forum...you have several bikes of your own to compare so I imagine your not new to motorcycles.

Comment

Enough said I guess. Don't buy one. As for the stand throwing your back out...that is because you don't know how to put a bike on the stand properly. At your size and weight it should be no problem. I have showed people much smaller the right way to do it and they have no problems. I would suggest looking at the thread "How to put a bike on the center stand" so you don't hurt yourself the next time you try regardless of the type of bike. I hope you find the bike you like.

Comment

Go with what feels right for you. As for me, I was a cruiser rider before making the switch. I always liked the Kat and finally got one. It's great for me. I still ride with mostly cruiser riders and they all like the looks of the Kat. For me, the choice was right.

Comment

By your own admission you seem to feel there's is a lot complain about and the ergos are not right. We're here because we recognize the value the Katana is and the practicality it brings to the real world of riding. All bikes have some problems but the Katana is far more reliable and easier to fix than most.

Good luck on finding a bike that suits your needs.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

If you don't like it then don't buy it, It is the same as taking a stripper in to the back room (if it isn't the one you want then you continue to look around)

Comment

Like everyone else says it is up to what you feel. I think you may be putting alot on the center stand I am 5'11" about 235 and my 02 750 is fine there are a lot of bigger guys on here than me and they love their bikes but it is how you feel on it. Did you test drive it? Also you should know how to put the center stand down with any bike. good luck
                "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Wabbit45: I'm with you on selecting a bike that is comfortable! I've had the Katana 750 for about six weeks and 900 miles so far. As to the build quality and rideability, I don't think it can be topped. The mill has been around for 25 years or so and is pretty much bullet-proof as long as you're not redlining from every stop and as long as you're performing all maintenance as prescribed by the owner's manual. The engine is very smooth and strong. I just can't get the comfort ironed out. I'm trying to find some extenders that would enable me to move the bars about 2" up and 2" back without having to reengineer cabling and such. For the price, I think the Katana is hard to beat, performance wise. Also, the insurance on this bike is MUCH lower than the GSXR series. Of course, all GSXRs are MUCH faster, but there is the trade-off. If you're into racing and wheelies, the Kat is not for you.
                  2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Wabbit45: Sorry, forgot to mention I'm 6 feet, 200 lbs. I imagine your issues with comfort might be a little worse since you're taller than me. But, I also think you'd have worse issues with a true sport-bike, since the lean angle is even greater! Good luck choosing!

Mark
                    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Iam sure you have done the research, but just incase the kat 750 will cost about $7000, a new fz1 is roughly $9000 and some change, not to mention the added cost of insurance.

With that being said: comfort is the biggest factor when buying a sport touring bike. Kat 600 does every thing i wanted it to, and was a little more comfortable than the 750.
                      In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
                      www.myspace.com/adamerogers

Comment

If you buy the FZ1 just post where you live and a pic of the bike so I can knock it down and save you the trouble of tryin to resale it later.

Comment

"Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

My '05 750 flips the bill for what I wanted. Reliable, comfortable, moderate performance, decent gas mileage and not your typical every other GSXR I see on the road. Plus I wanted to be able to do 2-up with more comfort for the back rider.

Comment

In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
                              www.myspace.com/adamerogers

Comment

Working...
                              X