X

Mechanical "Lifespan" Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical "Lifespan" Question

hey everybody! just picked up a '93 kat 750. it seems to have well-maintained, and has about 18K miles on the clock. assuming i take good care of this bike how long can i reasonably expect it to last? i've owned several bikes in the past but have never kept one past 15K miles, so i really don't know what the service life of a bike is... also, i have been running 87 octane fuel in it. can't find any specs on recommended octane ratings for the bike. can anyone help me on that? thanks in advance for any help! any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

joey

I am not sure on the lifespan of the bike. Just depends on how well you take care of it I guess.

As far as the fuel.... it has been covered quite a bit here. 87 is just fine for your kat. If you want long technical discussions of oxidizers in the atoms of the fuel and such... do a search on here and read what CyberPoet has to say. He knows his stuff, it is just mostly over my head.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I remember seeing a post from a Katrider who had over a 100,000 miles on his Katana
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

Originally posted by skotty
        I remember seeing a post from a Katrider who had over a 100,000 miles on his Katana
        I am one that has 100k plus miles. My 92 1100 had about 220k kms on it when I took her off the road for a rebuild. that is somewhere around 130k miles. this is over an 11 yr period of ownership. the motor was never opened up...original rings and all. I did maybe 3 valve adjustments and ran cheap car oil in it for the last 50k miles or so. and believe it or not, I only removed the carbs 2 times in that 11 yrs. once to replace a defective diaphram, and once for a cleaning when I needed to change my throttle cable.

I might have just gotten lucky, but it was the most "maintenance free" engine I have ever come across. I changed the plugs once around maybe 180k kms....and had to change one plug wire.
        I was blessed with that bike.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I have 27 k miles on my 05 600. STill purrrs like a kiten.

Comment

I have 6000 km on my 06 and it still runs smooth .

Comment

11,000 on my 1996 and running beautiful...
              Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
                I should hope so. even though 27k is on the high side for being a year old, it is still low. but at that rate, the bike will probably be due for a valve or ring job within 4 years max. summer isn't over yet. that is a very high amount of mileage for a bike only a year old. that bike will have a short life at that rate.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

27 K Miles in one year?? Thats a lotta ridin bro. I thought I put a lot of miles on mine (averaging 1000 miles / month)
                  2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

44K on my 91 and still going strong.........

87 octane fuel.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Just over 12,000 on my 01. Castrol GPS and 87 octane.
                      -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

I have 657 miles on my 06 Kat, runs beautifully, LOL

Comment

Thankx for your responses! I would have been happy with the bike lasting 50-60K miles before a rebuild, but it sounds like I can expect even better than that! That's great!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                            Originally posted by gpggnnn
                            I should hope so. even though 27k is on the high side for being a year old, it is still low. but at that rate, the bike will probably be due for a valve or ring job within 4 years max. summer isn't over yet. that is a very high amount of mileage for a bike only a year old. that bike will have a short life at that rate.
                            Yeah I've done 3 valva adjustments already. I keep ontop of all maintenece. 2 set of tires 1 set of brakes and many oil changes.
                            skotty I use my bike as main transportation to aand fro work. 108 miles a day. 5 days a week and some fooling around on weekends.

Comment

i had 47k on my 92 and it was still screaming when i went end over end threw the desert now the motor happily resides in a shifter cart and that was 3 years ago an the guy beats on it constantly and it still runs like it did when i had it

Comment

Working...
                              X