Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All one needs do is advance the static timing setting (2-5
    degrees) and go up a size or two on the main jets, derestrict the
    airbox slightly and run one setting colder spark plugs. Combibe all
    these things and you will gain 5-10% more peak HP.
    Add your site to the 916 Directory

Comment

Originally posted by lowster11
      You're funny, but I think you got it backwards, the higher the octane level, the more power the fuel is!!
      Originally posted by Court93Kat
      Nope... he had it right. Cyber does his research.... find something to the contrary if you can. Good luck.
      Thanks Court...

lowster, you can find more details on octane vs power here:

and here:

and here:

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
        117 octane in a kat with 11:1 compression even my 16.5:1 ratio honda doesnt need that it runs just fine on 100 octane when will people learn higher octane dont do a flocking thing for ya but waste money you need compression for octane higher the compression the higher the octane all the higher octane does it burn slower yes thats right slower hence the need for higher compression the higher the compression the more bang it makes but lower octane fuels will actual ignite under higher compression too fast sometimes prior to the plug even firing so the higher grades have a higher resistance to igniton so to speak so they can be fully compressed and then the spark plug can do it job and make a very large and powerfull boom so unless you got a 15:1 compression kat motor jsut use 89 that more then enough
        every word you said makes perfect sense, Sin.......once you figure out where the ponctuations go. you didn't happen to go to the same school as Duffy, did you?

I am just raggin' you man....but seriously, it does take a "re-read" to get it.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Very interesting, but like I stated, all one needs do is advance the static timing setting (2-5
          these things and you will gain 5-10% more peak HP with 100 octane.

Comment

The average person who asks about octane ratings is not looking to make all those modifications/changes to their bike just to run more expensive gas. They just want to know which would be the best gas to run with their current setup.

Of course if you make modifications to the motor..... increase compression, change cams, bore the cylinders, advance the timing, go with larger header tubes, rejet the carbs etc AND run higher octane fuel, you will net more horsepower.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

You are right Court (by the way, nice paint job), and I would not advise anyone to run anything else but what is recommended for their bike unless the have made any mods and done any research.

Comment

whatever.
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by lbjgh
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

whatever.
                  ????? whatever.

Comment

cant we all just get along

Comment

Originally posted by fordfurious
                      cant we all just get along
                      Hey, I'm not wrapped around the axel about anything. I'm just stirring the pot a little. Making a couple of valid points, and then going way out there to exaggerate it too. Just all in fun.

.....(by the way, nice paint job).....
                      Thanks, it is just white paint with vinyl graphics applied.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Very interesting, but like I stated, all one needs do is advance the static timing setting (2-5
                        these things and you will gain 5-10% more peak HP with 100 octane.
                        ok.....I am not trying to stir up any shit here, but I would like to know how you come up with this formula. I am not saying it is wrong, cuz I never tried anything that way(or know anyone who has).....but you are still talking high octane. considering you have what...75-80 hp stock, you are only talking 4-8hp more. you can gain that with a slip-on, and jetting alone. adding a k&n filter will add to that.

what I am saying is that imho you are looking for added hp via the wrong methods. the octane discussion has gone on before, and running what is reccommended is pretty much the best way to go.
                        I mean shit....I have a 200hp engine built by vance & hines racing themselves, and they suggest high test instead of regular...that's it.
                        and with the cost of an engine like that, you couldn't pay me enough to run 117 like you said you were running.

so sorry.....but before you can convince me to run 100 octane or more, you gotta be laying out some credentials. are you talking from experience? do you build engines? do you have an engineering degree? hang around the track? do you have any solid evidence to back your theories? or are you talking from speculation and hear-say?

so....not to sound to harsh, but by starting off telling us you run 117 octane.....then blushing about it and thinking this is a great site for no one calling you a dumbass, it is kind of difficult for me to buy into your other theories. you need to be posting some links to show some documented proof at least. what is your source for this information? please don't tell me it is your own theory....because it doesn't hold much weight after your original post at the beginning about thinking running 117 is a great thing to do.

Like I said...I am not bashing you or calling you out. I am just trying to understand where you are coming from. I like the idea of added hp as much as the next guy....but I just want to make sure some of the ideas are tried and tested with success, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                          ok.....I am not trying to stir up any shiate here, but I would like to know how you come up with this formula. I am not saying it is wrong, cuz I never tried anything that way(or know anyone who has).....but you are still talking high octane. considering you have what...75-80 hp stock, you are only talking 4-8hp more. you can gain that with a slip-on, and jetting alone. adding a k&n filter will add to that.
                          100hp stock to be exact (Suzuki claims 106), but that's beside the point. I learned this formula from the track and have seen the results, running a 12.17 e.t in the 1/4 on 87 octane, and a 11.87 after using this formula w/100 octane.

Comment

ok.....I am not trying to stir up any shiate here, but I would like to know how you come up with this formula. I am not saying it is wrong, cuz I never tried anything that way(or know anyone who has).....but you are still talking high octane. considering you have what...75-80 hp stock, you are only talking 4-8hp more. you can gain that with a slip-on, and jetting alone. adding a k&n filter will add to that.
                            100hp stock to be exact (Suzuki claims 106), but that's beside the point. I learned this formula from the track and have seen the results, running a 12.17 e.t in the 1/4 on 87 octane, and a 11.87 after using this formula w/100 octane.

Comment

ok...cool. just wanted to make sure you did indeed know what you are talking about. my engine is still setting in a crate waiting to be assembled....and still not sure what I am even going to stick it in.....but I want to squeeze every last bit of power of it that I can. but you have to understand, I will be looking for other sources to back this up. anyway....100 octane isn't as crazy as 117.

Comment

Yeah, I only ran the 117 octane a few times as I was told it would clean out the valves at high speeds, but once I learned that the aviation fuel contained lead, I stopped that.

Comment

Working...
                                X