Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

headlight/tailiight modulators, anyone got 'em on your Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight/tailiight modulators, anyone got 'em on your Kat?

ok, geek alert, you've been warned!

on my KLR, i'm running a headlight modulator from www.signaldynamics.com

on the back, i've got a Brake! LED taillight from www.dual-star.com, it's an LED array that flashes fast for two seconds, slow for two seconds and then goes steady.

i'm also planning on installing red/amber Hyperlights on the rear, the reds are dual brightness, and the amber suplement the blinkers.

currently the stock blinkers have 50W halogen bulbs in the rear and 1156 LED bulbs in the front... but i'm considering replacing them with Buell blinkers with a 36 LED, dual brightness, 1.5" square array from www.superbrightleds.com - will probably have to use a single brightness white LED array on the front, don't know if the amber lens will change the color of the red LEDs enough to keep 'em legal on the front of the bike.

the LED signals that i've seen (typicly on GSXRs & stuff) from Lockhart-Philips, etc. all seem to be in the "barely legal" category, not what i want in traffic.

anyone else running a headlight modulator, etc. on their Kat?

my first Kat was rear ended at a light by a Bronco 2, and IMHO, visual conspicuity is good (except when you're running at "extra-legal" speeds) red Kats are ticket magnets... DAMHIK however, i don't tink that more lights are gonna make the difference in getting a ticket or not.
    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

stock blinkers have 50W halogen bulbs in the rear
    Umm are you sure? The headlight on a Kat is 55 watt.

single brightness white LED array on the front, don't know if the amber lens will change the color of the red LEDs enough to keep 'em legal on the front of the bike.
    Ahhhh common mistake. The lens doen't "change" the color it filters it. Since the LED emits only the Red spectrum light the amber lens will have little effect..
    (you will notice the new high output LEDs are all clear.)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      He might. There are companies out there that make halogen aftermarket bulbs for the blinkers/brakes, but they've gotten slammed in a number of magazines because the heat build-up from the higher-wattage bulbs usually causes the plastic lens material to deform/melt, and in at least one case, even catch fire. Hopefully, he was just mistaken about what he's got.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        He might.

the heat build-up from the higher-wattage bulbs usually causes the plastic lens material to deform/melt, and in at least one case, even catch fire.
        One would think!!

Comment

Re: headlight/tailiight modulators, anyone got 'em on your K

Originally posted by fixer
          i would only do it if it had a bypass - i'd hate to be on a group ride and have someone behind me with their headlight flashing hi/low beams.

i do notice bikes with them & that can only be a good thing.

tim

Comment

I alway think:
            Hmmm 3 Hz flashing triggers autonomic reflexes.
            (thats why it is used)
            It also triggers epileptic siezures..
            (red makes it worse)
            Just my luck I'd fit a modulator and......
            Maybe I'm paranoid?

Comment

Umm are you sure? The headlight on a Kat is 55 watt
              yup, i'm sure... stock bliinkers, aftemarket bulbs. (50W haloge backup bulbs)

55/65W headlight bulb is junk...i was running a 65/100W bulb on the '89 Kat.

Comment

Re: headlight/tailiight modulators, anyone got 'em on your K

Originally posted by trinc
                Originally posted by fixer
                i would only do it if it had a bypass - i'd hate to be on a group ride and have someone behind me with their headlight flashing hi/low beams.

i do notice bikes with them & that can only be a good thing.

tim
                the one i have has a switch to turn it off. also switches off automagicly at night.

Comment

doesn't Kissan have a setup that is plug and play?

Comment

collection of links to consider

Kisan makes some very clever products for headlight and taillight modulation. Their turn-signal cancel module also runs all four turn signals at reduced intensity, for running lights. And how about their mirror-mount LED turn signals? I'm very interested in their entire product line.

Higher-wattage headlight bulbs are a good idea, so long as they're of good quality (good beam control) and fed by adequate wiring (don't blow fuses and burn up wires). Over-watt bulbs are a big problem for plastic reflectors and lenses, particularly with poor cooling airflow.

Here are some links I've gathered as I've been shopping for motorcycle lighting:

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=LIGHT (they carry Kisan)

This is a good tutorial and technical reference, automotive focus but the theory is all there:
                    Cibie, Hella, Marchal, Carello stockists. E-code headlamps, fog lamps, driving lamps, bulbs, and full technical support and assistance

Places to buy bulbs:
                    Cibie, Hella, Marchal, Carello stockists. E-code headlamps, fog lamps, driving lamp, bulbs, and full technical support and assistance

After installing a relay, I plan to replace my Kat's stock 60/55W H4 headlamp bulb with a 100/90W Narva or 100/80W Hella Optilux Xenon. On the stock wiring, the best choice is probably the 60/55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50 from Tungsram Megalicht, Narva Rangepower+50, Osram Silverstar or Philips VisionPlus.

Comment

I have a Kisan Pathblazer on my 05 Kat 750. This is the second one I've owned and will buy one for every bike I own in the future, because they are awesome! They really do make you 40% more visible. The only draw back is its expensive ($160), I think it's a little higher than it should be, but I'm willing to pay the price if it saves me just once.

It is very easy to install, plug n play, no cutting wires or splicing...takes less than 5 minutes to install. In the day light you turn your headlight switch to highbeams and they start modulating, low beams turns it off...a daylight sensor de-activates it at night.

One funny benefit is I pull over about 2-3 cars a day About half the people who see you, think your a cop. I don't care what they think as long as they see me.

The Kisan from what I have read is the only modulator that doesn't mess up the bulbs themselves...other modulators greatly shorten bulb life. I think it does this by not flashing high/low beam...but by lowering 17% the high beam output, and then back to 100%, back and forth. It works great, I can't say enough good things about it especially here in So Calif where every single cage has a driver with a cell phone permanantly attach to their ears and their head in their 3rd point of contact the entire time

It really gets you noticed

Wishing everyone on KR the best

Comment

that does it...I am buying a KISSAN unit...thanks for the glowing testemonial!

Comment

So does the Kissan unit only work when your high beams are on? What do you do at night? Is there a bypass switch so your light is on constantly?

Comment

If you guys want a deal, I've been working with Wulf over at Kissan for a while getting an initial order together to get me on his dealer list (I have to put in a specific minimum order to start the ball rolling -- and it's a bit more than I've wanted to commit to given that I still have $$ tied up in Ohlin shocks). I'll give you guys my price for a group-buy that will kick my order up to the lowest-tier dealer status (figure about 20% off their list prices).

Let me know if your interested -- any Kissan part, it can be a mix-and-match initial order.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have both, and like them...on long rides (say from oregon to washington) cars move outa the way like the Red Sea. And when I don't wanna annoy people, I just switch it to low beam, and then it won't modulate. Oh, and it's also UV controled while on high beam. My brake flashed five times and then stops flashing.

Comment

Working...
                              X