No announcement yet.
X

The Perilous Adventure Of Overlube Man!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lesson. I changed the fork oil in my Honda Nighthawk and had a similar experience. Through being a clumsy idiot, I got fork oil on the front tire in a patch about 5" long. I wiped it up as best as I could but had other things to worry about (fork oil flowing all over the place).

I patched everything up and decided to give it a test ride.

I dropped into a low speed turn in an intersection and the front forks turned into a jackhammer. I had great traction except for the 5" of oil on the tire, where it was ice capades. I didn't come close to dropping the bike, but I was quite surprised and very nearly dropped something.

After realizing the problem, I carefully scrubbed the oil off after about 10 miles. Lesson learned. Oil and tires are not best friends. WHO KNEW!?
    former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

Originally posted by POP944
      How exactly is the 5-7 drops thing supposed to work.
      I was being semi facetious... but everyone missed it... opppsss... Woody's right -- people will buy into anything I say at times
      5 to 7 drops added per mile...

The idea is that you want to have a layer of ten molecules or so thick on the mating contact surfaces at all time. A drop per link should do that, but if you could spread it out far enough, 5 to 7 drops spread across the whole chain would too. The problem is fling and migration, and so you need to keep adding a minimum of 5 to 7 drops per mile to compensate.

There is an inbetween out there -- somewhere between dripping wet and dry -- that will work.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use kerosine in a windex bottle (no toothbrush) to clean and then 10w40 to oil - all while the chain is warm. It makes a mess, and causes oil to drip down my kick stand for the next 48 hours - but it definitely increases the life of the chain and sprocket.

Btw - funny story Tony

Comment

Working...
        X