X

X-Ring vs. O-Ring chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Ring vs. O-Ring chain

So I am getting a new set of sprockets (steel) and a 530 chain for my 2005 Kat 600. As I was looking at all the options, I noticed X-Ring and O-Ring chains.

What's the major difference? Should I go with one over the other? I don't mind paying a few extra bucks if the general consensus is that one is better than the other.

Also, any specific brand recommendations? Tips? (This is the first time I've done something like this on my own).
    Mike - Reno, NV
    2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

X is better than O. Supposedly the X seals better and is supposed to last longer, all while providing less resistance.

Brands: I have had better results with the DID chains in general, but many think highly of the RK chains too. HS2020 on here sells EK chains and the people I have talked to with them like them as well. Those seem to be the highly regarded brands.

Sprocket change is also recommended at the same time. Sprockets and chains tend to wear together, and replacing one without the other will cause accelerated wear on the new part as well as additional stresses.

Use the rivet style master link.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

FWIW, the "X" and "O" refer to the cross section of the o-rings used to seal the bushings on the chain. A standard o-ring of course has an "O" cross-section. An X-ring has four lobes arranged in an X, and is supposed to seal better.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        X is better than O. Supposedly the X seals better and is supposed to last longer, all while providing less resistance.

Sprocket change is also recommended at the same time. Sprockets and chains tend to wear together, and replacing one without the other will cause accelerated wear on the new part as well as additional stresses.

Use the rivet style master link.
        +1

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
        FWIW, the "X" and "O" refer to the cross section of the o-rings used to seal the bushings on the chain. A standard o-ring of course has an "O" cross-section. An X-ring has four lobes arranged in an X, and is supposed to seal better.
        There are also W and various-other-shaped o-rings. The purpose of all of these alternative designs is to hold more lube, provide better sealing, reduce friction between the seals and their mating surfaces, and have a lower failure rate than standard "O" rings -- without treading on anyone else's patent rights. Generally, if you are very good about chain maintenance (or use an automated chain oiler), you'll get about the same amount of life out of any of these seal types. On the other hand, if you're not extremely dilligent about lubing the chain liberally with an oil-based product, you will be much better served by an X or W seal, which tends to keep contamination at the inside seals down.

You may also want to check out my How to understand Motorcycle Chains, Wear and Maintenance... webpage

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Forgot to say thanks to Cyberpoet - that document about chains that you have was phenomenal and extremely helpful. Thanks again.
          Mike - Reno, NV
          2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

Comment

I agree with fyreous, that was an excellent article about chains and proper maintenance!! Very informative and exactly what I was looking for to learn more.

Comment

Working...
            X