X

Front brake calipers leaking after brake fluid change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake calipers leaking after brake fluid change

I just changed the fluid in the front and rear brake system and now the front calipers leak at the bleeder bolt when I squeeze the brake lever. I've tried turning the bleeder bolt to less than the specified torque (which is 6 lbft), at the right torque, and above the right torque. The leak is from the base of the bolts, not the bleeder holes. It's enough to cause a drip of fluid to run down the side of the caliper with one squeeze of the brakes.

Help anyone?
    Ride like your life depends on it.

Take the bleeder bolt out and wrap one layer of teflon tape, and reinstall.

Teflong tape is cheap.

Comment

I probably have some teflon tape in my tool box. I'm just about to leave it alone and go to the gym for a while; I was getting frustrated. Is this pretty sure to solve my problem?? I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!

Comment

Thanks jp! I put teflon tape around the bleeder bolts and it seems to have cured my leaking problem. I will keep an eye on it though.

Comment

Yah! Should hold nice. Give it a little torque loving if you think it needs it.

Comment

Yeah, because of the added resistance of the teflon tape, I upped the torque to 7 lb ft. Thanks again.

Comment

is teflon tape brake fluid resistant? not many things are... just wondering for my own information-- never tried that...
              FWIW, as much as i am loath to use RTV in an engine, it is completely impermeable to brake fluid once it is cured...
              a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Working...
              X