• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tires!!

Just ordered two new Z6s from Ron Ayers

$252 shipped to my door.

120/70ZR17 - $112.79
    150/70ZR17 - $115.65

I found a place that sells the dyna-beads close to work, and I think I'm going to try them out.
    Last edited by HS2020; 05-21-2009, 11:05 AM.

You'll like em!!
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

what are dyna-beads

Comment

New tires are easily the best thing to buy to improve your bike's handling.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by gjlc19 View Post
            what are dyna-beads
            Little ceramic balls you put inside the tires that help with balance.

Offroad guys started using stuff like this first since their tires always spin on the wheel, but since the weights are glued to the wheel, they were always out of balance.

So, someone got the idea to put powder, golf balls, air soft balls, etc etc etc in the tire so that when the tire spins up and vibrates, whatever is in there will move towards the light spot and balance out the tire.

It also reduces tires wear because there's less vibration.

Comment

I was just looking at those tires on dennis kirk.com, $102.59, thinking about ordering one, but then where in the world am I going to get it put on at? Ive been through that before.

Comment

Remember to scrub them in a bit before pushing it...I had Z6's put on last year, unbelieveable difference from stock tires...

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                  Little ceramic balls you put inside the tires that help with balance.

Offroad guys started using stuff like this first since their tires always spin on the wheel, but since the weights are glued to the wheel, they were always out of balance.

So, someone got the idea to put powder, golf balls, air soft balls, etc etc etc in the tire so that when the tire spins up and vibrates, whatever is in there will move towards the light spot and balance out the tire.

It also reduces tires wear because there's less vibration.
                  thanks for the info sounds like it would be a good idea to get done

Comment

I mounted up my rear tire last night.

There is a video by SCUDMAN on youtube that really helped me out. I had to walk away from it about half way through getting it back on and try it again.

I did not use the balance beads, because I couldn't find anyone around here who sells them.

So, I'm just going to use old lead weights.

I started on the front tire, but couldn't get to it in time. I had to take the rotors off to get the wheel off, because the bleeds on the calipers were hitting the wheels when I was trying to take them off.

After watching that video things were much much easier.

Comment

Tires are now mounted and balanced. Even got in trouble with the wife because I was 10 minutes late for dinner. oops...

Word to the wise when balancing the rear tire. It will spin forever and ever, so after the first spin, just rotate it 90 degress and see if it spins itself.

Took 1/2 oz on the front and 3/4 oz on the rear to balance everything out.

Next up is re-assembly. Need to pick up a little tube or a tub of bearing/axle grease tonight.
                      Last edited by ATOMonkey; 05-21-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                        Word to the wise when balancing the rear tire. It will spin forever and ever, so after the first spin, just rotate it 90 degress and see if it spins itself.
                        I never spin, I just set the tire in one location and let it heavy part settle, mark, then rotate 90* let it settle, mark, rotate it 90* the other way, settle, mark, apply weights. I have some aluminum tape I use to temporarily attach the weights to the wheel to figure out how much weight I need, then clean and stick. (Well I used to until I went to Dynabeads, and I'm not looking back.)

Next up is re-assembly. Need to pick up a little tube or a tub of bearing/axle grease tonight.
                        Marine grade is the usual preference.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Where did you get your dyna beads?

Comment

There was a guy over at ADVrider who did a group buy on them, and I picked up 3 pounds. They are not proper brand name Dyna Beads, but they are ceramic bead blasting media. Close enough that I haven't had any issues on two sets of tires now. next time around, I will probably just order them straight from Inovative Balancing in the 10oz packages. (The 10oz package was the most economical/volume last time I checked.) And I am running them without filtered cores.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Rear wheel is now on the bike. I started doing the alignment last night and it looked pretty good, but when I tightened down the axle nut, it moved a little bit.

Doing an alignment with the string method has proven to be a giant pain in the *** though. Maybe it's just because mine is lowered, but it was really hard finding a clear LOS through the center stand for the string. Especially on the right side where the spring is.

I'm going to take another look at it this evening with some better light and hopefully that helps.

Anyway, I went from beig pretty much so dead nuts centered to about 2/32s off when I torqued down the axle nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X