No announcement yet.
X

i dont like the new gsxf 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also when i sat on the bike it seems alot smaller then my 02 750.. But i put in for the free drawing for the bike so ill take it for free...
    02 Suzuki Katana 750
    05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Here are some pics of the GSX500F and the GSX650F from the show yesterday in Novi, Mi

2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tankman1331 View Post
        and i didnt like it much... the big reason is there is no katana lable just gsxF. it is alright but i like the katana name.. it might have been better with out the big F on the bike.
        Hmmm, we have never used the katana name over here in Europe, but always only the GSX-F ; trust me, it's possible to live with it
        ... hopefully you will judge the bike, or any bike for that matter, by something different than the badge ?
        Last edited by Dane-Kat; 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

$2.00 sticker and you're golden.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
            $2.00 sticker and you're golden.
            i hear ya but still like my kat better but i guess thats just me..
            02 Suzuki Katana 750
            05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tankman1331 View Post
              But i put in for the free drawing for the bike so ill take it for free...
              Sorry, I am winning that bike bro
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                Sorry, I am winning that bike bro
                hope eather you or me (ill sell it to ya lol ).
                02 Suzuki Katana 750
                05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

sigpic

Comment

Did you guys like the big scratches in the decals on the right side of the black one?

Personally, after seeing it up close and sitting on it, I really don't dig it much either. Maybe a test ride would change my mind.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

^ teddy dropped it

Comment

Originally posted by DayKat View Post
                      I like the look, I like the style, I like the FI, BUT, I'm paraniod about the water cool[ed]... in my belief, not so good for a bike on the street. Longevity wise I'm saying...
                      The real make-it or break-it point for longevity has virtually zero to do with the cooling system unless it's misdesigned from the outset. Both water and oil-air cooling have their own unique advantages, which I've discussed in detail in other threads (here is a great one with more details: http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1291258 )

The primary longevity decider is compression ratios; engine redline & where peak torque occurs are generally the secondary deciders. All of this assumes the engineering and manufacturing skills are fairly equal for all examples** and that service intervals are followed appropriately.

The lower the compression ratio, the less force the moving parts have to take (everything from the rings & bearings to the connecting rods) and the lower the general wear & tear.
                      The lower the torque peak in the RPM range, the less likely the rider is going to make it run anywhere around redline.
                      The lower the redline, the less often the reciprocating parts are going to have to change direction, reducing wear further on various parts (wrist pins, crank bearings, connecting rods, crank journal bearings).

Early 80's BMW air-head opposed twins ran in the 8.2:1 compression range with a redline around 7k RPM, and were traditionally considered not to be broken in before about 100k miles (with typical lifespans of 250k to minor rebuild and 450k to ready for the scraphead or major overhaul). The low compression ratio may have been a result, at least in part, to engineering requirements of the cooling system used, and meant the bike only put out around 50 HP, but it did mean the engine went on like the energizer bunny -- on and on and on and on...

The 88-06 Kats in stock form still fall into the low end of the modern compression ratio range, compressing at max ratios of 11.2:1 for the 600's and 10.5:1 for the 750's (and that's just at torque peak). Plus they tend to redline out fairly low by modern standards (10.5 - 11.5k RPM compared to 15k on many modern race-rep bikes). This is the primary reason they easily last past 100k miles if they get their servicing regularly.

Now if we start looking at the replacement GSX650F, it's compression ratio climbs to 11.5:1 and the redline climbs to 12k RPM, an increase made possible by water cooling, but also meaning it's not nearly as likely to see 100k miles as an air-oil cooled Kat.

Look at an '08 GSXR600, and the redline is shown as 16k (and probably is around 15k in reality), plus compression ratio of 12.8:1. This engine is very very unlikely to ever see 100k miles unless it's babied to keep it away from torque peak and redline most of the time... But that's not because it's water-cooled -- it's water-cooled because they want to use compression ratios bordering on 13:1 and 15-16k RPM redlines...

** Footnote:
                      Although in theory the Ural and the BMW opposed twin of the 1940's is the same (same blueprints, same basic production equipment that the Soviets moved from Germany at the end of WW2), there is a world of difference in their build qualities. Thus, the German one, built to closer tolerances and higher specs, would be expected to last significantly longer, although they run the same otherwise.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-03-2008, 01:21 AM.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't even see how you can debate water vs oil cooled. Oil cooling is for dinosaurs and Harleys. Just because the old Kat was oil-cooled, people on here are willing to defend it, but we just saw the Kat go the way of the dinosaur...

Yes, there are merits to an oil-cooled bike, but those merits have nothing to do with performance and that's why the words 'Katana' and 'performance' rarely met in the same sentence in the last ten years. Suzuki had taken the concept as far as they could, but it was time to move on. As sportbikes of comparable engine sizes moved 10, 20, 30 and even 40 HP past the Katana, it became harder to justify shelling out 7 Gs for a bike that couldn't perform with a comparable true 600cc/750cc sportbike. Caling the Katana a 'sport tourer' didn't change the fact that it was always compared to sportbikes in terms of performance to the uninitiated. -And in the end, that's what killed the Katana name and that's why you won't be seeing it on any Suzi bikes anytime soon. -They ran that once-proud name into the ground.

There are still 4 2006 Katana 600s for sell at our local Suzuki, and it's for the same reason that the Katana went the way of the dinosaur. -They didn't sell...
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

What about the SV650?

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                          I don't even see how you can debate water vs oil cooled. Oil cooling is for dinosaurs and Harleys. Just because the old Kat was oil-cooled, people on here are willing to defend it, but we just saw the Kat go the way of the dinosaur...

Yes, there are merits to an oil-cooled bike, but those merits have nothing to do with performance and that's why the words 'Katana' and 'performance' rarely met in the same sentence in the last ten years. Suzuki had taken the concept as far as they could, but it was time to move on. As sportbikes of comparable engine sizes moved 10, 20, 30 and even 40 HP past the Katana, it became harder to justify shelling out 7 Gs for a bike that couldn't perform with a comparable true 600cc/750cc sportbike. Caling the Katana a 'sport tourer' didn't change the fact that it was always compared to sportbikes in terms of performance to the uninitiated. -And in the end, that's what killed the Katana name and that's why you won't be seeing it on any Suzi bikes anytime soon. -They ran that once-proud name into the ground.

There are still 4 2006 Katana 600s for sell at our local Suzuki, and it's for the same reason that the Katana went the way of the dinosaur. -They didn't sell...
                          The sv650 looked great at the Toronto Show, Fuel injection antilock brakes and it dosen't have that motard look that most people like.
                          That's a bike i would buy tomorrow.
                          The new "kat" looks like a bigger gsxf500. I know it is
                          but if you look at the 500 and 600(kat) in say 2004 the kat looked so much nicer!

Comment

Note to self: Quoting bad words will get your whole post deleted. Got it.

I like the way the GSXF 650 looks. I don't know why. But, I won't be getting one anytime soon (no funds). I'd also have to at least sit on it to make sure it would be comfortable enough. However, since I'm not a long-distance rider, it might not be bad for my typical commute.
                            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                            -Terence

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the Corvetteforum when the C6 came out in 2005... even I didn't like the C6 (because of no more pop-up headlights). But the C6 grew on me, as I think the GSX650F will grow on a lot of us.

I for one like the new bike. I'll have to wait untill I get to sit on one in to tell for sure, but I think it will fit in well as a sport-touring bike.
                              Simon Alexander
                              Owasso, Oklahoma

1973 GT750K Water Buffalo - Gone but never forgotten.
                              2006 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Why didn't this bike get clip-ons?? Looks so much better! And I will take the maintainence of the cooling system, over the maintainence of carbs anyday. If it had the clip-ons like the Kat, I'd be sold. Otherwise....I'm out on it. If I was in the market for another 600 class ST, I'd have to go with the ZZR600
                                It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Working...
                                X