X

help for intalling oil cooler gsx 750skatana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for intalling oil cooler gsx 750skatana

dear guys can you please help me or teach how to install an oil cooler for my gsx 750s katana,is the gsxr 600 oil cooler may fit?where does the hoses may be tapped?please help...many thanks in advance...

You don't want to use a 600oil cooler on a 750, its smaller and wouldn't cool as well overheating your engine. Always want to go same or bigger...

As far as install, two banjo bolts on bottom (12 or 14 mm), two mounting bolts up top on each line (allen head) and the cooler itself has two bolts up top.

Drain the oil, remove the banjos on bottom and allow them to drain while you work up top. Remove each line, then the cooler mounting bolts. Slip rubber shroud off of cooler, tip it forward and lift it out. Drain the oil. Set aside what parts you don't need, check for stuff to replace, and install your new cooler/lines/oil filter (may as well lol)
    Last edited by Silent; 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

thanks silent,i'll try to follow your advice...will browse now ebay to look for spares needed....many thanks again...have a nice day.....

Comment

No problem, though id wait for a more advanced kat guy to come on before buying anything lol. What's your issue, broken cooler? Think there's a few 750s on the board here for a good price, was looking for cooler/lines for my 95. I got lucky, just swapped mine out (needed to change lines, noticed a bend in the cooler) with one off the parts bike. My cooler wasn't leaking, just out of whack, but the lines were shot (spec the left) but the guyhad replaced the 89s in the last year before he spine-checked a power pole. Hope you find a good deal...

Comment

nope,just upgrading my 83 kat. took me a long time to find a decent advise co'z back in manila,few people have this bike.lucky me,i have relatives in texas who could process the shipments i want from ebay..
          thanks again,hope someday i could visit the place(texas)my family lives in arlington tx....

Comment

Did that bike come from the factory with an oil cooler?

The one in your avatar is an old school kat...
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah steve u are right,its an old school 83 katana gsx 750s,i like to install oil cooler co'z of the weather in manila is way too hot,specially in traffic...wheew...i can feel the engine burning..so,should i go for the banjo bolts located near to the oil oil filter cover?thanks steve

Comment

Yes, I think there are fittings on either side of the oil filter that will allow you to install banjo bolts to the cooler.

I had a 1981 GS1100E with an after market oil cooler as well.

It will take some work to fabricate the mounting brackets.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

thanks a million steve,finally i could do the work...happy riding...

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    ...I had a 1981 GS1100E with an after market oil cooler as well...
                    Are you sure it was aftermarket? I had a 1979 GS1100E and it had an oil cooler, too.

@slowspeed: That might be a good source for your cooler. If it wasn't stock it seems like it was at least a pretty common add-on.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

You might be able to use the ports on either side of the filter cover, but there is the possibility you would need to change the filter cover to one with a restrictor, (such as from an 1150).
                      This is pretty much standard practice on the bigger Suzuki 4 valve roller bearing motors.
                      I think the GSX 750 Katana engine is a plain bearing crank. So do your research thoroughly.
                      Check link below for some good info on oil coolers and GSX engines.
                      Granted, he's talking about a GSX1100, which is a totally different animal than the GSX 750.
                      Just did some checking myself and verified that the GSX 750 engine is a high pressure oiling system (plain bearing crank). Whereas the GSX 1000-1100-1150 are low pressure (roller bearing crank).

Spend some time searching around his site, too. Lots of good info.

Also check out the OSS.
                      Genetic engineering of an extinct species

And the GS Resources.

And OldSkool Performance

More data.
                      Last edited by Greg B; 10-20-2011, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Are you sure it was aftermarket? I had a 1979 GS1100E and it had an oil cooler, too.

@slowspeed: That might be a good source for your cooler. If it wasn't stock it seems like it was at least a pretty common add-on.
                        It was installed with hose clamps and bailing wire.... so.... you tell me
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Sounds pretty mickey-mouse. Mine didn't look like that at all. As far as I could tell (I'd only been riding for a year when I got it.) mine was stock.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Have a cooler fitted to my '82 1000 Kat. It uses the banjos near the oil filter, but you also need to have some oil ways internally blanked off. Have a look on my site (www.katanaspecials.com) - I think there's something on the FAQ page (follow the Technical FAQ link from the top of the main FAQ page), but if you get a cooler see if you can get some fitting instructions from the supplier. As Steves said, you'll need to fabricate a mount too.
                            Last edited by Kyttkat; 12-06-2011, 03:44 AM.
                            www.katanaspecials.com

Comment

I have an 1100 so it may be different.
                              But if not, you need to change the oil filter cover, to a different one for use with an oil cooler, or as i understand it will not work.
                              It is very important.

See link

Again i don't know if 750 is the same, but someone here should.

Comment

Working...
                              X