X

Exhuast Paint - Powdercoat or Ceramic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhuast Paint - Powdercoat or Ceramic

I've always disliked the dull finish on the aluminum mufflers on my bike, I pefer gloss black to match the rest of the bike. Powder coating them will cost $80-100, or ceramic coating $150. Whichever one I choose they'll be high gloss black. Has anyone tried one of these options? Which is best in high heat, looks, durability?
    2005 GSXF750 Katana
    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Powdercoat is known for not withstanding exhaust temps.
    97 GSX600F
    76 CB750F
    71 CB175

Comment

You can get hi temp silicone based powder from these guys. Supposed to be better than ceramic

Comment

Columbia has high temp gloss black, but I have never see what it looks like after being on the pipes for a while.

I myself would do a ceramic, as it will stand up to the heat, and look good.
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

no experience in either, but I have been told that ceramic is the way to go.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Don't know about high temp powdercoat, but I do know that ceramic coated headers on cars are the ''Kats'' meow!

Comment

Looks like ceramic is the way to go. I'll post pics when I get them back.
              2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Eh, I'm not sure if this fits in or not, back when I was in a powdercoat craze I did a car exhaust (just one piece to try it out)... that thing didn't last long before it burnt... I would go ceramic, but thats just me

Comment

Ceramic coating on exhaust works and looks great....but out of all the project cars I built / helped wrench on, I only saw one time where the guy used a black ceramic coating...and it turned a pretty nasty chocolate brown after awhile.

Coulda been just that job, but who knows.

Comment

In my experience, ceramic coating will not be high-gloss... at least over time (the porous surface of the coating will hold impurities that ruin the shine and there's no way I know of to polish it after the fact). That said, ceramic coating (typically about 92-96% ceramic by volume) would be the only viable choice I can think of for a header or other part that gets really hot, esp. if the bike runs lean.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have sprayed the Columbia Hi-Temp black with good results.
                      The first piece was an straight 6 exaust/intake combo... after a few months it still looked like i took it out of the oven. I was a bit nervous to use it for fear of having to rework the part if it failed.
                      Over all it works well. I'd use it on my stuff for sure.
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                        I have sprayed the Columbia Hi-Temp black with good results.
                        The first piece was an straight 6 exaust/intake combo... after a few months it still looked like i took it out of the oven. I was a bit nervous to use it for fear of having to rework the part if it failed.
                        Over all it works well. I'd use it on my stuff for sure.
                        Is the Columbia stuff ceramic or powder coat?
                        2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Working...
                        X