X

cell phone use on a bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell phone use on a bike?

i was just wondering if anyone has tried using their cell phone with a bluetooth earpiece on their bike. Did it work or was it too noisy or awkward to use it? I was thinking it would be good to talk to my buddy (using voice activated dialing) rather than yelling at each other at stoplights etc....thanks

Dunno. I've no experience with bluetooth cells...
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I have not used a bluetooth yet, and not sure I will.

I have used an old fashioned plug in headset that installed in the helmet and then plugged into the phone. It worked alright, but I couldn't get the headset loud enough to hear very well over wind and engine noise. There are now bluetooth equipped helmets on the market. That may be the way to go if you MUST be in contact with people while you ride.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

It is a mobile phone as in a phone that can be moved..
        Not a phone that must be used moving..
        There is no one so interesting or important that I have to talk to them while walking... never mind riding/driving..

However as a cheap bike to bike intercom..

Bluetooth headsets are cheaper than intercoms?

Comment

My phone has a fm tuner on it so it has a set of headphones the ear bud style that came with it. The microphone located on the plug has a button on it that doubles as a call/end call button and it also changes through my radio presets while I am listening to the radio. I mounted a piece of velcro to the helmet right in front of my mouth and another piece to the mic with the button. When someone is calling me the radio will turn off and the phone will ring in the ear pieces, press the button to answer the call and talk. Havent had any complaints yet. People say they hear the bike in the background but it is still easy enough to hear me. I have a bluetooth but it is big and probably would be uncomfortable shoved in my helmet.

Comment

I have a slim line Plantronics BlueTooth earpiece. Does not fit at all into my helmet without nearly tearing my ear off going on and off, and not comfortable at all.
            It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

they have bluetooth helmets w/ built in speakers and mic... you might want to check them out. personally i think it would be retarded to talk on the know while riding.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

i have nothing to say that is important enough to have to talk on the phone while riding. Just pull over.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

I have enough problems with stupid cagers not paying attention cuz they are on the phone.... Let's up it a notch and use the phone while riding. :

How bout no you crazy dutch bastard.

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

I just use my handsfree device

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mythbusters
                      Everyone knows that talking on a cell phone while driving is potentially dangerous, but is it as risky as driving drunk? To find out, Adam and Kari head to a local raceway to try their hand at driving a skills course, first, while being distracted on a cell phone, and then after knocking back a couple of rounds of beers.
                      Guess what they found .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I got the bluetooth hoping to listen to the MP3 whilie riding to work, only to find out you can't listen to music with this bluetooth. I have used the wired headset on the bike, but since getting the Hindle, I can't hear people or music, so now no communication on the bike. Better/Safer that way anyhow.
                        Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

thanks for your input everyone...i was thinking of using it like a bike to bike intercom and not for idle chatter, after all isn't part of the appeal of riding getting away and having some "me" time???

Comment

Yea, i have a the TINY jabra bluetooth headset for my treo, and I could never get my helmet on over that.

I usually keep my phone in my pocket while riding, sometimes I can feel it vibrating, sometimes I can't, if i do feel it, and I'm at a light that will take some time to change, sometimes I'll pull it out and check it, but never talk on it. If it was someone important I'll pull over and call back.

This probably isn't the safest thing, because in the event that I need to move to avoid danger, I'd be in trouble...
                            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                            18v Rigid Drill
                            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I read the title of the post and expected to see some helmetless squid cruising down the road with a cell phone in his clutch hand.

You're going to do whatever you're going to do, but riding with a cell phone in your helmet is asking for trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X