X

Riding boots vs. Steel toe'd work boots

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding boots vs. Steel toe'd work boots

okay, I just got my 99 Katana, all black. I now have about 800 bucks that I want to spend on gear, just so my girlfriend and mom (and of course, myself) will feel safer with me riding. I really like the JR phoenix series, including jacket, pants, and gloves. I'm going up to cyclegear next week to hopefully pick these up or order them.

Now for my delimma. When riding now, I just wear my steel toe work boots. However, these makes it kind of difficult to shift, since the toe is so thick. Do riding boots usually have a thinner (top to sole) toe, making it easier to shift? Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Yes, the majority of your quality riding boots, and most of them in general have a shift pad or protection over the toe so you can shift and they fit nice and snug so there is no problems shifting. It just takes some time to get used to wearing them and riding

Comment

I where steel toe work boots when i ride without a problem, order mine from specialty firefighter catalogs so perhaps there a bit different idk, its all about personal choice and comfort levels i guess

Comment

I have a much better feel and more control of the shifter with my riding boots.

Comment

The most important reason to wear a specialty riding boot in mho is the protection. Riding boots incorporate protection for your toes, heel, ankles, and shins. The more you pay, the more protection you're getting. A great work boot is not designed to protect your feet and ankles in a 60mph get off, they're designed to provide comfort, and protection at work. I guess it boils down to this, you don't wear ballet slippers to play football. They both have distinct purposes, and should be used accordingly. You can obviously wear whatever you want on a bike, the choice to make is what level of protection are you most comfortable with based on the style of riding you do. Of course this is just my two cents...lol.

Brandon

Comment

Any boot is better than no boot..
            Race style boots are expensive and the sole
            will not stand up to prolonged off bike traveling..
            They can also be uncomfortable off bike.
            They do offer fantastic on bike performance..
            Luckily I haven't tried their off bike (crashing)
            performance.

There are still some companies that make boots that
            offer on bike perfomance with off bike comfort.
            Bates still make their classic boot, at over $200 a bit expensive but I'd think if they were really out dated they'ed have dropped the line. I wear Doc Martian's if I'm riding somewhere I'll be off the bike.. I wear my 12 year old AGV's if I'm gonna be 99% on the bike. (to and from work where I change shoes or on a ride)
            I've crashed in light weight hiking boots and ground through the toe.. I only wear "street shoes" while moving the bike around in the car port
            If cared for a pair of race boots will last a long time.
            Mine have but after the first few weeks of wearing them I realized the soles would crap out fast!

Comment

Remember also, more expensive doesnt all mean more protection. In many or even most cases it does, but you can find boots, like Nitro boots, for example, for a fraction of the cost of a new pair of Sidi's or JR. Not that nitro boots are on the same level Sidi or JR, but they do offer good proctection at a very good price.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                Remember also, more expensive doesnt all mean more protection. In many or even most cases it does, but you can find boots, like Nitro boots, for example, for a fraction of the cost of a new pair of Sidi's or JR. Not that nitro boots are on the same level Sidi or JR, but they do offer good proctection at a very good price.
                I love mine. And at about $70-$80 you can't beat them.

Comment

I bought an awesome pair of sidi boots lightly used on craigslist. I cannot say enough about these boots from the air vents to keep your feet cool
                  to the ankle protection & the carbon fibre shin pad. Shop around & you'll find
                  some good deals on riding gear.
                  Last edited by loneraider; 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I like my Fieldsheer race boots...a lot
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I really really like my Puma 1000 V3's comfortable, easy to walk around the mall or down town in. Got them off of e-bay from a place in Quebec for a great price
                      2002 750 Kat
                      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

i can attest to the need for real riding boots. my steel toe work boots didn't do much when i lowsided at 60 mph on my 600 last week. got lucky and only sprained my ankle but would've been totally fine with real riding boots with stiff ankle support. Also something i overlooked until my crash was knee pads. my knee was scraped to the bone in the crash. with knee pads too i would've picked my bike up and rode away no problem.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your crash!
                          I fear the same thing when out riding cause you never know how your rides going to end up. New gear is nice if you can afford it but I ended up buying all my gear on craigslist from the 2 shoei helmets to gloves agv joe rocket jackets and sidi boots. Riding without my sidi boots just doesn't feel right
                          anymore. They are awesome protection for ankles and shins and comfortable to walk around in for short walks.
                          Some folks on here might have a beef about buying used gear for riding
                          but if you know what to look for, you can save $hundreds on gear that's
                          only been lightly used.

Example video

Awesome boot for performance riding! Size EU 45/US 10.5-11, $185 at yellowdevilgear.com. These are made of Lorica (lighter and stronger than leather), with e...

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/sidi/Sportbike Track Gear is the #1 online eCommerce site for protective motorcycle apparel and performance parts. Buy popu...
                          Last edited by loneraider; 09-26-2015, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                            Sorry to hear about your crash!
                            I fear the same thing when out riding cause you never know how your rides going to end up. New gear is nice if you can afford it but I ended up buying all my gear on craigslist from the 2 shoei helmets to gloves agv joe rocket jackets and sidi boots. Riding without my sidi boots just doesn't feel right
                            anymore. They are awesome protection for ankles and shins and comfortable to walk around in for short walks.
                            Some folks on here might have a beef about buying used gear for riding
                            but if you know what to look for, you can save $hundreds on gear that's
                            only been lightly used.

Example video

Awesome boot for performance riding! Size EU 45/US 10.5-11, $185 at yellowdevilgear.com. These are made of Lorica (lighter and stronger than leather), with e...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwu7MMdXQEc
                            I got my S&S helmet, Icon gloves, and Icon jacket from craigslist. 150 for all of it which would've bought just the helmet new. I was wearing all of it during the crash. jacket and gloves saved me from ALOT more roadrash. If you can't afford new gear (like me) cl is great

and thank you. i got lucky and if i wasn't wearing gear like 95% of riders out here in Ohio I would probably look like a dalmatian with red spots right now. don't even wanna think if i wasn't wearing a helmet!
                            Last edited by TheBlack7; 09-26-2015, 01:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The only problem we have is buying a used helmet... Never buy a used helmet if you don't know the history of it.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X