Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

put carbs back on adjusted idle but rmps shoot up to redline!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put carbs back on adjusted idle but rmps shoot up to redline!!!

So i have got my new parts and cleaned my carbs and bench synced them, a/f screw 2 1/2 turns out and when i start it it goes straight to redline! I have adjusted the idle screw every which way and it does the same thing every time, no difference! What is goin on!!!??

MASSIVE vacuum leak, or maladjusted throttle cable, holding the butterflies open.

Comment

I want to know why you're running a bike with a busted sidecover and bad gasket.....JB weld takes longer than an hour to cure.

Comment

not JB Kwik

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          not JB Kwik
          cures fully in 4 hours.
          He's only half way there.

Comment

I had to get to work, i got the rpms down, it was the throttle cable, a little too tight.
            It is leaking oil like a maniac now, bout a quart an hr!
            And when i got it running it set the rpms at 2 on idle and after driving it they are staying at 4. Now it has set for 30 minutes it will barely hold an idle at 1.5....so idk what is going on, no vacuum leak, i set the a/f screw at 1.5 turns instead of 2.5. idk

Comment

That crack in your side case that's leaking oil? Yeah, that's a vacuum leak. And the idle is supposed to be around 1200-1300 RPM, not 1500.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                That crack in your side case that's leaking oil? Yeah, that's a vacuum leak. And the idle is supposed to be around 1200-1300 RPM, not 1500.

well i am pretty sure i am just gonna have to buy a new case because i jb welded the sh*t outta it and it still pourin oil so i can only assume the case is bent!
                Is that 1200-1300 warm? It sounds like its gonna die or does die when its that low....but if that is what it is supposed to be then i will set it at that and see what happens. And i guess work on gettin a new case.

Comment

Also, you haven't vacuum synced yet. You HAVE to do that after a carb dip or rebuild. Until you do, your bike won't idle. It will probably run like crap to.

You do the sync at 1800 RPM. Bench sync gets you close enough to run, then you vacuum sync.

Comment

Are you buying a new case or a new cover? Two VERY different things.

Comment

Also, you haven't vacuum synced yet. You HAVE to do that after a carb dip or rebuild. Until you do, your bike won't idle. It will probably run like crap to.

You do the sync at 1800 RPM. Bench sync gets you close enough to run, then you vacuum sync.
                      Yes I know i have to vacuum sync lol, i have been told over and over, i just cannot afford to tool, and have not had the time really. It WILL be done VERY soon....thanks.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      Are you buying a new case or a new cover? Two VERY different things.

The cover i guess is what it is, it is the outside piece, has a crack right in the middle from bein laid over and one down by the bolt from tightening too much....but even with those both jb welded it still leaks and leaked before the bolt crack from the same area, so i figure it is bent a tiny bit there.
                      Will a small crack affect the vacuum that much as far as a leak goes?

right now i just need it to run, it has been running good before when all the stuff was wrong with it and now that it is all fixed i figured a bench sync should get it to run until i get time, but i am still having issues with high idle, i got it set warm at 1-1.5 rpms but after riding it for a minute or two it jumps to a steady 3000. and it jumps up when i hit the clutch, it drops back down when i put it in gear though...idk im lost! lol
                      Last edited by plexlove; 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you can't sync them, and won't be able to for a while, then stop posting about your bike running like crap and asking why it does. It's because you HAVEN'T SYNCED THE CARBS.

Comment

so when i vacuum sync i adjust it the same way with the screws right?

Comment

Uh, what screws? They aren't the same ones you use to adjust the mixture.....they are in between the carbs on the throttle linkage.

Comment

Uh, what screws? They aren't the same ones you use to adjust the mixture.....they are in between the carbs on the throttle linkage.
                              I thought you adjusted the screws that adjust the butterflies? Do you not do that when vacuum syncing it?

Comment

Working...
                              X