No announcement yet.
X

Boots are expensive? GRAPHIC NSFW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have boots designed specifically for a motorcycle, but they are above the ankle and leather. Do you think there's really a significant difference between a good regular pair of boots and motorcycle boots?

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
      I don't have boots designed specifically for a motorcycle, but they are above the ankle and leather. Do you think there's really a significant difference between a good regular pair of boots and motorcycle boots?
      Um...yes...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Every time I check this thread, it makes me want to pull the trigger on new boots. I do have riding boots, but I don't know how well they would hold up.

Comment

That picture is how I got my wife into proper ,Vertigo Lei,boots,so it works.
          Hobbies (Beating You)

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
            Tactical boots usually have pretty solid ankle support and protection. I would take them over a set of running shoes, but they aren't really a replacement for riding boots. Timberland style boots are just about worthless for protection. You'd be better off in a pair of Jordan's.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Wow, just wow. I had to look at that for a few seconds just to figure out what was going on with that ankle. I had just told myself I was done buying gear for a while since I got my full face helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, kevlar reinforced jeans, and knee/shin guards. I am now thinking the hot weather army boots I bought for my MSF coarse off ebay may be getting replaced. They seem like they would have good abrasion resistance but the ankle protection is on the light side.

Comment

Not to start something, but many riding boots are simply modified ski boots. I'm not saying they're not great for the task, but their additional safety is probably minimal in comparison to their additional weather protection, ability to take on/off, etc.

I ride with a great set of AlpineStars, but I'd use a set of Timberland style if I couldn't afford the real thing.
                Last edited by Nero; 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I've been looking for a pair of boots for riding and wearing while I am at work. Any suggestions?
                  2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post

I ride with a great set of AlpineStars, but I'd use a set of Timberland style if I couldn't afford the real thing.
                    Wait, are you talking about Timberlands..... http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...uctId=12004813 or "Timb's"...... http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...uctId=11189934

The first ones I could see having some kind of support (though I've never worn them).... the second ones have absolutely none (and I wear them regularly). They have all the ankle support of a pair of worn out rental ice skates.

I don't think many can't afford to buy riding boots. You can get them on sale pretty cheap (cheaper than normal shoes in many cases). The issue is...........

Originally posted by astevens54 View Post
                    I've been looking for a pair of boots for riding and wearing while I am at work. Any suggestions?
                    ........ this question. I have to walk around when I get to where I'm going, so I don't wear riding boots. Ever. I can't walk around for 11 hours at school with them on. When I worked, they looked pretty goofy with a suit. I have nowhere to put them and nowhere to stash spare shoes to bring with me, so it's always a compromise between safety and the minimum level of comfort/appearance depending on the circumstance.
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      ........ this question. I have to walk around when I get to where I'm going, so I don't wear riding boots. Ever. I can't walk around for 11 hours at school with them on. When I worked, they looked pretty goofy with a suit. I have nowhere to put them and nowhere to stash spare shoes to bring with me, so it's always a compromise between safety and the minimum level of comfort/appearance depending on the circumstance.
                      It's called a backpack

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        It's called a backpack
                        In my backpack I have a big laptop (because I need the dedicated 10-key on the side), all of my school books, notebooks, planner, 2 different calculators, etc..... there is no space for shoes in there. I would have to get a top box or something if I wanted to carry anything more to school.

Comment

Knowing first hand what it's like to have a bad ankle it would have to be an extreme and drastic emergency for me to ride without over-the-ankle boots.

Although I have a pair of waterproof SIDI's that cost a mint, price should be no excuse for not having a decent pair of boots. Between a good Craigslist deal or scoring a closeout online, stuff can be had.

And say what you want about Cycle Gear, but love a company that at least tries to price gear so that even squids with the leanest wallets can afford some new gear. I bought a Bilt helmet and two sets of gloves for my trip just to test out the "cheap" stuff and was really surprised! Not bad for the price! Couple days ago I picked up there street boot for commuting. Way comfortable and $70 out the door.

Would I trust them for a track day. Uh, no. But if I can afford track days I should be able to buy top-of-the-line gear. And besides, they're still 100 times better than any tennis shoe.
                          sigpic

Comment

I leave my street shoes at work, as I do my button down shirt and professionally creased pants. That way I can take the bike in or away from work at my discretion. I just load it all into the tank bag once or twice a week.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              In my backpack I have a big laptop (because I need the dedicated 10-key on the side), all of my school books, notebooks, planner, 2 different calculators, etc..... there is no space for shoes in there. I would have to get a top box or something if I wanted to carry anything more to school.
                              Good point. I wore my AXO boots to class all the time, very comfy to walk in even across campus.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                                Good point. I wore my AXO boots to class all the time, very comfy to walk in even across campus.
                                Seriously? Maybe I'm just a pansy. I spend 11 hours at school.... I just can't imagine spending that long walking around in riding boots (plus the 90 minute ride each way).

Originally posted by unohuu View Post
                                I leave my street shoes at work, as I do my button down shirt and professionally creased pants. That way I can take the bike in or away from work at my discretion. I just load it all into the tank bag once or twice a week.
                                How do you keep your shirts from getting wrinkled in your tank bag? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to keep a steamer at work, too.... so you could freshen them up before you put them on.
                                Last edited by loudnlow7484; 09-04-2011, 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X