Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

The part that the kickstand and safety attach to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The part that the kickstand and safety attach to?

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased and older 92 Katana for quite cheap. I'm sure I'll have many questions, and I'll be searching tons of threads but there was one issue I can't find any info on and I'm sure it's simple.

Basically the kicks stand bends in and in order to get the kickstand up enough to push in the safety sensor I have to force it over the exhaust pipe. I ordered good kickstand and spring off ebay that I'm waiting for, to check, but what I think might actually be the problem is the mount that the kickstand and safety attach to might be bent. Now I can't find anywhere that tells me what that part is called, or if it's possible to replace or bend back. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, and I'm looking forward to fixing this bad boy and making it look and sound nice!

My guess is that it's not bent, but the hole the kickstand bolt goes through is oblonged and letting it just 'hang' there. I have the same problem on my bike.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

yea its nothing to worry too much about I noticed the same problem recently on the katana I recently bought,

Comment

The mount is a heavy welded on piece of steel attatched to the engine cradle. If that is bent, your frame is torqued and you have bigger issues atm... (don't freak, it's not bent, just relax... breath... )

The kick stand you have can be fixed...

First, take the srpings off so you can move the kickstand around. If it has alot of movement towards and away from the bike... that's the problem.

The kick stand attatches using a bolt with a shoulder. The threaded portion bolts into the back "fork" of the kickstand. If there is wear at this junction, then the bolt bottoms out before the kickstand is properly tight enough on the bracket. This leaves "sloppy" movement and allows for the kickstand to get pulled in towards the bike by the springs and gets hung up on things.

The simple fix....

Use a metal spacer to fill in so that the movement is reduced, but leaving just enough play that the bolt does not freeze the kickstand on the bracket.

I used a regular washer and used 80 grit to sand it down to the right thickness.

Put new springs on.

lube it all...

And it will be fixed.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Great thanks guys! I'll try it and grab a few washers. Kreylyn, your fix sounds like that's exactly the problem. I bought a spring off ebay so hopefully that and a washer will get me all fixed up!

You mentioned lube as well, and I'm just wondering, do you guys use regular car grease or is there like a really good lube that all kat riders recommend? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedison View Post

You mentioned lube as well, and I'm just wondering, do you guys use regular car grease or is there like a really good lube that all kat riders recommend? Thanks again.
            It's not a high-stress area, and it gets hit with a lot of water........ marine grease would be my choice.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              It's not a high-stress area, and it gets hit with a lot of water........ marine grease would be my choice.
              Thank you kindly.

Comment

Working...
              X