X

2001 suzuki gsx750 has no power!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 suzuki gsx750 has no power!!

It all started when my starter switch wouldn't work. So I took the seat off and checked all my fuses and my main fuse. And also checked my starter relay.. When I took it off and tested it it was fine but as I put it back on my battery wire going to it had connected to the negative and now I have no power to the bike at all when I turn the key. So I checked all the fuses again as we'll as checked the relay again. I even tried a new ignition switch and still nothing. I checked my grounds and they seem fine.. Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong?? This is my first bike so I want to learn how to fix the problems as they come. Can someone please help and tell me what I might be doing wrong??

Also using a multi tester how do I test to see if the wires are bad and what parts of the wires am I supposed to touch with the connectors? And what setting should the tester be on??? Thanks!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc3EQGZowk"]Electronics 101-How To Use A Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter Continuity Tester - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a link to a video on using a DVOM (digital volt-ohm meter.)
    A multi-meter is probably one of the best tools you can ever learn to use. I have a Fluke 23, and I use it daily. You can start testing for power from the battery to each component in the path from the battery to the starter. The starter relay is just a switch that, when powered, connects the high amperage current from the battery to the starter. If it has 12v going to one of the small wires, you should hear it click.
    Douglas Derby
    Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

Did you check the blade fuse on the starter relay?
      sigpic

Comment

Did you test the fuses with a multimeter or was it just a visual inspection?
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

KatanaGSX92 has a very valid point, even with a continuity check! I had another Suzuki running to go home from work and it just stopped! All fuses looked fine and had continuity. Only 1.5v was able to flow tho! Corrosion has a lot to answer for! Whole day that lesson took!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X