X

HID upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
    Turns out the light Im ordering is Bi Xenon, so it'll be pulling double duty Red.
    The thing you need to keep in mind is that that Bi-Xenon in the projector won't work worth a poop, most likely, on high beam. In a real dual projector, there is a moving piece in a projector that moves, not the light. That's how projectors get that nice cut off.

Bi-Xenon bulbs move the bulb, there is a small servo motor in the base. If that projector in the headlamp was made as a low beam, most likely the high beam part won't be focused properly.

One other thing, if the projector calls for an H4 low, and you get an H7 Bi, you'll have to modify the housing to fit the bulb a bit. They aren't compatible.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the description of the housing on Fleabay. Already set up for Bi-Xenon

**** You are bidding on a custom Sonic headlight retrofitted with a True Bi Xenon HID Projector (High and Low beam!) with Angel eye CCFL HALO ****

*** This headlight is StreetFighter style and is universal, and should fit most motorcycles ***

** Great light output and awesome looks!! **
    Last edited by 05RedKat600; 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

If you found the listing did you check out the light range pics. Look crisply cut off on low beam to avoid blinding people. And ample amount of light on high, and those pics are with the stock 35w light. So I should be a bit brighter.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I did just now. That thing actually looks pretty damned decent! Nice find!

Comment

Believe it was dennis that showed me it.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

The 6000K is the best and the color of blue is just right. One thing I will mention is that your bike's headlights are not set up for HIDs like mine (projector headlamps), and super-bright lights will blind oncoming drivers. It's nice to be seen, but don't get overzealous. I have four headlamps, so it's never a problem.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
              The 6000K is the best and the color of blue is just right. One thing I will mention is that your bike's headlights are not set up for HIDs like mine (projector headlamps), and super-bright lights will blind oncoming drivers. It's nice to be seen, but don't get overzealous. I have four headlamps, so it's never a problem.
              The bottom of that is a projector with good cut off according to the Ebay pics.

Comment

I appreciate the input. However for my bike it is unnecessary information. The headlight I will be using is a projector headlamp made for HID, so no blinding people.
                Also if you look at my bike in either the signature or avatar you'll see I'm obviously not running close to a stock set up.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Youve seen my bike... Mine are 50w 8k.
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Haven't had a chance to ride with you at night brother. How do you like the 50w 8000k at night? Too blue? Tiring on the eyes?
                    I know it is still about 3x brighter than halogen which is one reason I'm swapping over, that and my 70's era headlight rattles way to much at high rpm which is where my bike lives when I'm on it.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I appreciate the input. However for my bike it is unnecessary information. The headlight I will be using is a projector headlamp made for HID, so no blinding people.
                      Also if you look at my bike in either the signature or avatar you'll see I'm obviously not running close to a stock set up.
                      You reaaaaaly think I can see that level of detail within your headlight in those little pics?
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

You reaaaaaly think I can see that level of detail within your headlight in those little pics?
                        Would hope you at least noticed it had no fairings
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Haven't had a chance to ride with you at night brother. How do you like the 50w 8000k at night? Too blue? Tiring on the eyes?
                          I know it is still about 3x brighter than halogen which is one reason I'm swapping over, that and my 70's era headlight rattles way to much at high rpm which is where my bike lives when I'm on it.
                          Im definetely the brightest think on the road. The only thing I dont like is how the light bounces up and down when I go over bumps. Much more noticable with the HIDs than a stock bulb.
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                            Im definetely the brightest think on the road. The only thing I dont like is how the light bounces up and down when I go over bumps. Much more noticable with the HIDs than a stock bulb.
                            That comes from the narrower light band that comes from HIDs. Light from regular light bulbs disperses better and therefore doesn't have the sharper edges that comes from a HID setup. That is why a HID light can be almost invisible from the side and blinding from the front. Projector beam housing helps to optimize the focus.
                            =USAF= Retired

Comment

For what it's worth I'm running a 35W 5000K HID kit in my stock housings. I rarely ride at night but the light output is much better than stock. 55W is overkill in my opinion unless paired with a good projector kit (just throwing a 55W HID kit in a factory housing is just going to produce that much more stray light and probably get you pulled over. Most cars roll off the lot with around 4300K bulbs which gives you the most visible light. Higher than that your light output actually diminishes. 5000K is pretty white, 6000k it starts to turn bluish.

Where are you guys getting your projectors from to do retrofits? I'd like to put projectors in the Katana but am only familiar with The Retrofit Source as that's who I've used for my truck projectors. Any others I should consider buying from?

Comment

This thread is not in reference to stock Kat headlight housings. There are other threads pertaining to that. No stray light in this housing as it was made for HIDs. Although I did stick with the 35w 6000k light due to the heat changing the coloration of the housing. I believe it was cherrif who did a write up to use stock post Kat housings If you want to check that out it is very indepth. Or if you have a pre Kat (since you have no info on what bike you have), pm someone like hemi who has done that particular upgrade.
                                1992- project katfighter
                                2005- GSXR750
                                2001- TL1000R
                                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Working...
                                X