No announcement yet.
X

R1 LED Integrated tail light mod.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my light the other day and today I got the leds/board out of the housing. Um, the leds are staggered and there is only 2 rows. Will this one still work? I can post a pic if you don't know what I'm on about.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

Nice I like the more visible brake light. I have flush mount blinkers, would it be possible to do this mod and leave them on, so both the tailight and blinkers would blink?? I am assuming if not then I could just leave the blinkers the way they are and not use the tailight blinker?
      89 Katana 750
      06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

I looked for something universal and found nothing! love this, pretty much plug and play. I'm gonna keep my blinkers tho and just hook up the tail and stop. I'll consider hooking up the integrated and keep my blinkers... I've got a few tickets from when I was younger and I don't get warnings...
        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
        ---
        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

The first tail light I made was just the brake tail and brake light and it worked just fine, then I found the integrated signal so I swapped out the board and wired in the turn signals. Im pretty sure as long as you have a variable load signal flasher you can hook up any assortment of lights you want. Resisters shouldnt be needed because the flasher already have the variable resistors build it. (But I could be wrong, It doesn occasianally happen)
          Last edited by HemiKat; 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

mine was the double row of leds as well. top row burnt out. I have a variable load relay so Im thinking of chalkin it up to gettin the cheap chinese one off ebay.
            Hemi do you have a suggestion on finding the good lockhart phillips one you are using? my ebay searches keep bringin up the cheap chinese ones an Id rather not have to keep replacing them every season due to the cheaper electronics.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              mine was the double row of leds as well. top row burnt out. I have a variable load relay so Im thinking of chalkin it up to gettin the cheap chinese one off ebay.
              Hemi do you have a suggestion on finding the good lockhart phillips one you are using? my ebay searches keep bringin up the cheap chinese ones an Id rather not have to keep replacing them every season due to the cheaper electronics.
              I want to do this mod but I have the same question about the cheaper Chinese version. If I don't get a response I'm ordering the cheapest one and if I pay for it later so be it...
              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
              ---

Comment

Ill put it this way: I had two cheap chinese boards and they both had LED's burnt out in a matter of weeks. My good Lockhart Phillips (Which still only cost me around $25 on Ebay) has been on my bike for a year without any problems. You decide.

Comment

Thanks! I got a good deal on one that the PO modified with extra leds. I scored it for $20 since it didn't have the lens It's a gamble as it has been parted out by a reputable shop. I figured its worth the chance as the led boards alone sell for $40 new... We'll see, it ships tomorrow!

Also what is different about the Lockhart and chinese; I couldn't find any that looked like the lockhart ones...
                  Last edited by niqbales; 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM. Reason: attached img
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                    Also what is different about the Lockhart and chinese; I couldn't find any that looked like the lockhart ones...
                    I just think the LockHart ones are a little better quailty.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                      I just think the LockHart ones are a little better quailty.
                      I understand that; what I'm wondering is how to know which one to order, in case this one doesn't work out.
                      ---

Comment

go ahead an get the lockhart phillips, its not that much more expensive. my chinese one i got for 10 dollars but within the first week the top row burnt out
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

go ahead an get the lockhart phillips, its not that much more expensive. my chinese one i got for 10 dollars but within the first week the top row burnt out
                          I search "02 03 r1 tail light" Lots of them come up but my question is: how do I tell if its the lockhart or the chinese when searching ebay? They all look about the same.
                          ---

Comment

if it doesnt say lockhart phillips, check to see where its being shipped from, lol be sure it isnt from china (or hong kong for that matter), ill probably wait a bit before replacing mine, i still need too many other parts for my build
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

if it doesnt say lockhart phillips, check to see where its being shipped from, lol be sure it isnt from china (or hong kong for that matter), ill probably wait a bit before replacing mine, i still need too many other parts for my build
                              Yea I got that part, there are no other signs? I'm pretty good at analyzing ebay stuff but I have not any that looked like good ones under $40ish shipped... I got what I hope to be a good one but I knew it was modified and it was $20 shipped.
                              ---

Comment

honestly I couldnt tell you how to tell the difference if it doesnt say. even ones selling in the us can be different led confirgurations far as I see.
                                1992- project katfighter
                                2005- GSXR750
                                2001- TL1000R
                                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Working...
                                X