KOTM Jun 2008 antditty3436

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets

Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
stretched600
Kat Champion

eBay ID: mistyndel

Default GSXR rear wheel conversion

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need some current info on what it would take for me to get a wider gsxr rim into my kat swing. Been getting too much heat for such a small tire Would love to see a 200 in there...I've heard they use different bearings and things but my major question is about axle size...Are they the same or different? Just curious so I know if I have to clearance to slider holes and use different adjusters...Any and all help appreciated!!!
stretched600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
mreedohio
Kat Master

September 08 KOTM

talk to neonjeffie, he has a extended swingarm with a busa rear wheel on a his pre98. also talk to kreylyn
mreedohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
stretched600
Kat Champion

eBay ID: mistyndel

Cool..but I was intending to keep the stock width swing arm...is that possible???

Also might as well ask about the front too bc I can get a cheap set!!!
stretched600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretched600 View Post
Cool..but I was intending to keep the stock width swing arm...is that possible???

Also might as well ask about the front too bc I can get a cheap set!!!
I'm pretty sure a 5.5" won't fit, so a 6" (minimum width for a 190mm tire) is even less likely.

So no, not a direct bolt on swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretched600 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need some current info on what it would take for me to get a wider gsxr rim into my kat swing. Been getting too much heat for such a small tire Would love to see a 200 in there...I've heard they use different bearings and things but my major question is about axle size...Are they the same or different? Just curious so I know if I have to clearance to slider holes and use different adjusters...Any and all help appreciated!!!

Since your swinger is alread stretched, you should really not have any issues at all putting any sized rim you want.

If your wanting to go 190 -200 tire size, I would highly recomend that you get a 6" rim. A 5.5 is a little small for those sizes (I have one right now I'm working on with 200 on a 5.5, and it definately is not the right profile you want).

The only 6" rims I've been able to find are straight spokes. I haven't done enough research to verify the axle sizes on them, but I'd guess they are probably the same axle size as most of the new GSXRs... around 28mm OD. Your swinger can be made to fit that (I just did it on a post Kat) by changing the slot size. The issue you will run into for that size axle, is the chain adjusters will need to be fully custom made (that is where I'm currently at, and in the process of having done for someone).

If you stick with 180/5.5" rims... you can pick up a 90-91 GSXR rim that will match your front rim, uses a 20mm axle, and would be a really simple process to fit in your bike. If you look, you can on occasion find a 600 (93ish I think) gsxr from the first 2 years they made them that will even have a 5 slot cush drive and allow you to use your sprocket carrier on.

To go 20mm axle size on your kat... widen the swingarm axle slots to 20.2mm wide. Use all the GSXR spacers, axle, brake caliper bracket. There are nice axle adjusters to fit that axle size from 2nd gen SVs, that look real nice and clean.

Since your not that far away... if you wanted to some help... let me know.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
(I have one right now I'm working on with 200 on a 5.5, and it definately is not the right profile you want).
Wow no kidding. My bike had a 190mm rear tire on it when I bought it, it handled like a school bus and looked awful, I can't imagine what a 200 would look and ride like
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottynoface View Post
Wow no kidding. My bike had a 190mm rear tire on it when I bought it, it handled like a school bus and looked awful, I can't imagine what a 200 would look and ride like
I've already been instucted to remove the tire before shipping this setup back... we left the tire on just so I would have something to work with while doing the mod on it. All the parts are from Ebay I think, so they came with what was on it.

Should have the final parts for the custom chain adjusters done soon... and this will be a pretty slick setup I think.

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
JokerZwild
Kat Master

eBay ID: wetowbikes

I can offer you the info from my 4.5 thread, its a 89 GSXR wheel swap. The bearing info should help out.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...highlight=swap

stop by the garage for a better look!

Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-16-2009 at 06:26 PM..
JokerZwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
squiggy
Kat Master

I'm glad I'm old enough where peer preasure and redicule don't bother me for having a 150 tire. I'd rather have my skinny tire connected to my Ohlins shock, that I bought from CP, than have a worthless (to me) fat tire that does no good except please someone else.

OK, back to on topic.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
JokerZwild
Kat Master

eBay ID: wetowbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
I'm glad I'm old enough where peer preasure and redicule don't bother me for having a 150 tire. I'd rather have my skinny tire connected to my Ohlins shock, that I bought from CP, than have a worthless (to me) fat tire that does no good except please someone else.

OK, back to on topic.
JokerZwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets