X

What i learned today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What i learned today

Well i leaned that the PO had air tubes in place of fuel tubes for the fuel lines , so i replaced those but to get to the bottom of the carbs i had to take the air box off, well once done with the fuel lines i had to put the air box back on, i noticed that i could not get all 4 holes back on at the same time so i took off the rear gas tank brace, tried again with no luck so i took off the air cleaner (which i need a new one) so i got the box back on then put the air cleaner back in then as i putting the brace back on i pushed too hard on the air box and it came off again, so at this point i am just pushing and pushing and pushing till i am satisfied with how the air box is mounted back on to the carbs , i got everything put back together and tried to fire her up and ................. and listened to it turn over and over and over till i killed the battery , so now i ask you guys if you have ever had a girlfriend that you just spoiled rotten and she never gave it up then left you? Well thats how i feel right about now , so what did i learn today? That the more invasive that you get into your bike that the more F#*$ed you will be when you are done.
    -end of rant
    sigpic
    Sgt of Marines
    2003 GSX-R 600

I always take the brace out when I deal with the airbox. Takes 2 minutes tops...that's 2 min less cussing for me.

As for putting it on.

When putting it on, I personally like taking out the air filter and being able to see inside and see if the airbox is really on there. I loosen the clamps on the air intakes that mount onto the carbs. I also like using a little bit of oil or something else to just smooth on there to make the rubber a bit more pliable and easier to get it 'mounted' (here come the bad puns).

Try getting one side ALMOST on (meaning 2 of the carbs) then push the other side ALMOST all the way on, then seating the whole thing at the same time.

As for it cranking...make sure you're getting gas. Did you move / possibly disturb the electrical connections to the coils? Check those too....might want to clean / spray some dielectric grease in there while you're there, that happened to me on my Kat...

Good luck

Chris

Comment

Take out the carbs and airbox and try again , but do this ......
      Take out the air filter , stick your hand inside the airbox , and push it onto the carbs THAT way . Make sure you hold it there while tightening clamps . Next , insert filter back into box . Next , put carbs/airbox back in as an assembly . You'll need to wiggle a bit to clear the tank bracket , but it'll go , trust me .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1 to removing the air filter to press the airbox on.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 to removing the carbs. It is much easier to put the carbs on the bike with the air box than to put the air box on the carbs with the carbs mounted..

Comment

Ya i took the air filter out when i put the air box back on last night, it just made sense to do it that way, i found out that #2 was being an "A hole", as for the battery dying, this is the second battery i have gone through in 3 months, i jumped the kat the other day just to see if i could get it running and i did, but it wont with just the battery cause it takes a looooonnnnnggggg time, i pull the choke till its flooded then open the throttle and i do this about 4 or 5 times till i can hear it starting to catch then she fires up, but i dont know a battery that can with stand that amount of crank time....
            sigpic
            Sgt of Marines
            2003 GSX-R 600

Comment

you have some carb issues. they need cleaning and synching at the very least. after you replaced the fuel lines did you put the petcock in prime for 30 seconds?

Comment

Carbs were completely rebuilt about 3500 miles ago!!!!! No way they need it again???? And ya i primed them....
                sigpic
                Sgt of Marines
                2003 GSX-R 600

Comment

How do you all get to the throttle cable nut with the air box on? I always take the air box off first, then the carbs. Easier for me that way. Did you put the petcock in prime first? You may not have had enough gas to start it.

Comment

i have been having this starting problem for about a month now, i am really convinced that its the battery
                    sigpic
                    Sgt of Marines
                    2003 GSX-R 600

Comment

Originally posted by D-Wes View Post
                      Carbs were completely rebuilt about 3500 miles ago!!!!! No way they need it again???? And ya i primed them....
                      Have you checked the tank for rust?

Rebuilt 3500 miles ago is a long time if you have rust in the tank...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well my vaccum plate definitly did not look like that, but i will have to stick a flashlite down the tank to see whats up, thanks CP
                        sigpic
                        Sgt of Marines
                        2003 GSX-R 600

Comment

Working...
                        X