X

Modding a Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding a Katana

The question comes up all the time around here "What should my first mod be?" Usually the first answers given are to chop the shovel, add a pipe, an advancer, maybe a jet kit and of course clear signals and a solo cowl

Recently though I've started giving some real though to the question and I've come to the conclusion that we may all be guilty of putting "the new guy" on the wrong path. Sure these most common mods are the ones that make the biggest difference in the appearance of the bike which caters right into what most new people really want to hear when they come asking about mods but what do they really do? They make it look and sound different but does that really change the Kat into a better bike? Hardly. Don't get me wrong, these basic mods do make a tremendous difference in the look and may add a couple of ponies to the powerband but what they do to the bike is really minimal.

It has been said forever by more than one reviewer that where the Katana lacks most in are in handling and braking. Yet when people come asking, very rarely are the first things mentioned Stainless brake lines or new fork springs and emulators or even new tires. These things though IMO are the ones that make the biggest difference in the Kat and are the last things most people improve.

So, if you've made it through my rambling here, you now know my position. My answer from now on will most likely be Stainless lines with HH pads when people come asking. I pose the question, what do you think should be the first mod a person does to make their Kat a better bike? That is the whole reason for modding to begin with isn't it? To improve the appearance or performance of the machine.
    Chop the shovel
    0.00%
    Jet kit
    40.00%
    Ignition Advancer
    0.00%
    Add an exhaust
    40.00%
    Clear turns and tail
    0.00%
    Braada Solo Cowl
    0.00%
    Stainless Brake lines and HH pads
    0.00%
    Suspension (shock and forks)
    0.00%
    Good quality rubber
    20.00%
    Ride it like it is and hold resale value
    0.00%
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

I'm going to vote for putting better rubber on, even though I don't consider it a "mod" so to speak.

You can have the greatest suspension in the world, the greatest brakes ever created, but it ultimatly the tire which has the final say.

Comment

I would have agree with Dan on this one. The one thing I have done to my Kat that has made the biggest improvment was the upgrade in tires.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Who is asking the question?

If it is an experienced rider I would say upgrade the tires then the brakes. These are mods that will increase performance and safety.

If a newbie is asking the questions I would say use the time that you would take modding and practice. The best mod a newbie could do is to his or her basic skills.

Comment

Best/Easiest mod to do first: Shovel
          Best mod overall: Suspension

Comment

I guess it depends on what you think is important or what you are looking for....for performance...new suspension (that's what I keep hearing from many of the pro shops I talk to)...they keep telling me that the first performance mod should be the suspension because stock on many bikes isn't very good...then tires...brakes... etc...

For looks...I think chop that shovel off...I hate the look of that thing...then the clear alternatives...etc..
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I voted for the shovel. not that its really the BEST mod to do, but you have to do it. If you dont the bike will look funny
              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I'm oppsoed to this kind of advice..
                IMO
                Ride the bike for a while..
                You will figure out on your own what needs to happen.
                If you have prior motorcycle experiance;
                you will know right away (Like I did with the brakes).
                Or if you have some imagination you will see what doesn't fit and what does. Modding your bike
                is your thing..
                True the shovel looks out of place.
                And it is the easiest thing to change..
                Stickers too..
                But if you don't know the suspension need improving then you probibly won't notice the change..

Biggest bang for my buck was the GSXR master cylinder.
                That having been said, like the GSXR/TL control pods it
                could have been as much a case of it working like factory.. Not that it is any better..
                (In the case of the pods it is that they are newer.
                Sure the look better, more modern, but more importantly the turn signal cancel works etc...)

Look at your bike and decide for your self what you want it to look like.. And don't take any guff for what you decide..

Ride the bike and decide for yourself what it is doing
                (or not doing) and how you would like to change it.

Comment

would say, the best first mod is the exhaust!!
                  West of Germany
                  greetz Carsten

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                    I'm going to vote for putting better rubber on, even though I don't consider it a "mod" so to speak.

You can have the greatest suspension in the world, the greatest brakes ever created, but it ultimatly the tire which has the final say.
                    I pretty much agree with Dan regarding tires.
                    However, the installation of My carbon fibre slip on and mid pipe made a significant increase in power.

I thought that this was just wishful thinking on my part but, the dealership that has serviced the bike since new, remarked that the difference was significant.

With that in mind,
                    Cut off the shovel and follow it up with the
                    installation of exhaust.

I also have clear alternatives signal lights, cause they were the next cheapest mod.
                    I hope to have a seat cowl purchased and painted over the winter.
                    By the time I recieve it and have it painted professionally, it'll be a $350.00 mod.
                    "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

fork springs hands down. yes the tires are important - but i rode hard on the macadams & i don't think a noob would really notice the difference since their lean angle will be modest.

i have found that chassis stability ( because you know the SR's will kick in in many new riders ) is one of the most important things.

just think: you will need a better tire ( front ) if you have weak springs, better brakes ( pads & lines ) are minimized by too great of weight transfer from the front end dive. the bike won't track well in corners - causing too many corrections - not to mention upsetting the chassis with on'off throttle transitions.

imo

tim

( btw: what was my last mod - rebuilt front forks )

Comment

I'm with trinc and Jax. I think the suspension is the true weak link in the Katana's. Good tires are all a matter of due course. If you put any miles on your bike at all, you should be changing tires at least once a year anyway so just put good performance tires on like Pirelli Diablo's or everyon's fave, the Metzeler's. However, as all the pros will tell you, you aren't even taking advantage of the horsepower you have without optimizing your suspension. IMO, all of the other mods listed are cosmetic, and things like the shovel chop are cheap and quick, so they are usually the first done. OTOH, suspension mods will cost upwards of $600-$700 if you do it yourself, so they tend to get overlooked.

As far as resale value. When I'm ready to move up, my Kat will only be worth about half of what I paid for it anyway. I intend to keep it as a daily rider/touring bike and get a SS bike for having "fun".

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          Best/Easiest mod to do first: Shovel
                          Best mod overall: Suspension
                          Yes.
                          1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                          2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                          Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Yeah , if your brakes are GREAT , and your tires are not , good chance the tire will lock up I'd think . So I guess going by THAT logic .... B12 engine !
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Yeah , if your brakes are GREAT , and your tires are not , good chance the tire will lock up I'd think . So I guess going by THAT logic .... B12 engine !
                              I like your logic

Comment

Working...
                              X