No announcement yet.
X

Modding a Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think alot of it depends on what kind of riding they will do and what they really want out of their bike.

I mean if they are just using it as a basic commuter bike to save gas..going to work, store, etc.. dont do any serious twisties, or plan on any track days.. the stock macadams are THAT bad. And I would then go w/ the suspension and brake upgrade, just for the comfort and stability sake.

Now if they want to begin mod'n the bike out for all type of performance enhancements, then yes to all of the above in that list, because they are all good mods to do to help improve the Kat greatly in looks and performance.

I will say , for the money, the advancer is such an easy mod to do and it really makes a difference. And if you do choose to get new tires, you'll notice a world of difference as well.

Comment

While I agree with most of you on the tires, brakes and Suspension. The thing is most of these cost Money.

I can't speak for the rest of you but when I bought my Kat I was just getting into riding again after a 13 year break. The cost of the bike,insurance then the gear on top of that pretty much guarenteed any mods must be cheap, at least for the first while.

Tail chop, sticker removal, mesh mod, grab bar polishing are all easy to do and very low cost. Something easy to start with before the bug bite's hard .
      Kyle

Comment

How bout this too.. First mod you should do before you even mod your Kat, is make sure you have the proper gear before you start riding it.

As woobie mentioned, your bank account can greatly influence the type and amount of mods that you do. The more you can do on your own, or know someone that can help you, and of course scourering ebay for deals, will definately help your cause.

Comment

Yes Ebay is the only way to go when buying parts
          Ride On,
          Jon

Comment

I didn't vote.

I am not the greatest at mechanics or any kind of modding. I think the said mods are awsome and make the Kat look great. And there is A LOT of mods I'd like to do to my beast. BUT...Yep there's that "but"... With myself just getting into riding 7 months ago, I'd rather work on my riding skills. For NOW. I think by the middle of next season I'll be ready to catch the modding bug. I've already got certain things picked out for the dressing of my Kat.

Since I'm pretty new to this, I'd like to have more experience on the bike in this point in time, than worry about mods. Ive got some cash stashed away for some of my mods, so I'll be good to go. <coughcoughsolocowlcoughcough>
            KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

Rumor is solo cowls add 10 HP, and stickers add 5 hp, so by just doing those 2 mods you're gaining in performance and looks

Comment

Even though I haven't done anything to the bike yet (hopefully the shovel today), I would have to say SS brake lines. For safety and looks. (hoping for those for Christmas).
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

No doubt about it. Best mod in the world on damn near ANY bike will be forks and shock, but it takes a good, experienced rider to even need it or utilize it. If all you are gonna do is bling around town, then that brings in a whole new dimension, but no holds bared, forks and shock are going to reap more rewards than ANYTHING.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

adding the solarguard

Comment

Changed to s/s lines based on experience with them. Have done the shovel chop and Hindle slipon but am waiting untill I put on some more miles to see what else. Already know that the next purchase will be tires which will let me see what suspension mods I need.
                      '98 GSX750F

Comment

It has been said forever by more than one reviewer that where the Katana lacks most in are in handling and braking. Yet when people come asking, very rarely are the first things mentioned Stainless brake lines or new fork springs and emulators or even new tires. These things though IMO are the ones that make the biggest difference in the Kat and are the last things most people improve.
                        Couldn't agree more buddy!
                        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                        X