Replace cam chain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace cam chain?

Hi

How is it in general with the kat, at what interval should the cam chain itself be replaced (600 / 1995). Checked the Haynes manual but i could only find replacement of the cam chain tensioner.

Thanks for your help.
    Matias

Um, unless it snaps, then you really shouldn't have to replace it...replacing it is NOT easy, it involves splitting the lower cases.

How many miles do you have?
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

No experience with it, but would it be possible to break the existing chain, you a temporary master to connect the new chain, spin the motor and reconnect the new chain after it makes it back around? This could be a really dumb idea, but I just was curious.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
        No experience with it, but would it be possible to break the existing chain, you a temporary master to connect the new chain, spin the motor and reconnect the new chain after it makes it back around? This could be a really dumb idea, but I just was curious.

I have done it that way many times.
        but finding open end chains and riveting links is getting a lot harder these days.

lots of times if the chain is stretched and the sprockets are not worn you can replace the guides and adjuster spring and tighten thengs back up for a few more miles/years
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input. It's hard to know these things and better to be safe than sorry.

Matias

Comment

Working...
          X