X

Oil Change Drain Valve

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Drain Valve

Fram sells a product similar to this: http://www.fumotovalve.com/ at local auto parts stores. Just wondering if anyone knows the thread measurments on the drain bolt on a 98+ 750 so I can buy the right quick change valve. Anyone heard of any horror stories with using these valves? not letting all the oil drain out or anything? Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    - Pat Elliott - 05 GSX750F -

I am very interested in this also do you have a link to the one you saw in the autoparts store?

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mcmahonm
      I am very interested in this also do you have a link to the one you saw in the autoparts store?
      I have one that I haven't installed yet. I hadn't had the gumption to grind down the lip on the oil pan to install the darn thing. Let me know if you want to take a look at it.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
        I have one that I haven't installed yet. I hadn't had the gumption to grind down the lip on the oil pan to install the darn thing. Let me know if you want to take a look at it.
        Is it the Fram one? If so what is the part number?

Comment

I have had the Fram on my Chevy pick-up for about 2 years - 20,000+/- miles and no problems yet.

Comment

Do a quick search. Cyber as listed the drain plug size plenty of times. I want to say it's something like M14 x1.75, but I may be off.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by katanapat
              Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
              Is it the Fram one? If so what is the part number?
              This is the Fumoto valve.
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have zero information on the FRAM SureDrain oil pan valve, what it's made of or what temps it's expected to be able to handle (Fram's website didn't help at all either; the only reference I found was Fram - SureDrain Tech Guide (pdf)).

The size for the 98+ Kats OEM drain is an M14 x 1.25 turns (Fumoto F111). www.fumotovalve.com

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber posted the link....I saw the product in Canadian Tire, by all the stop leaks and additives. Hope I helped!

Pat Elliott

Comment

I, for one, am not bothered by removing the oil drain bolt. The valve sounds like a nice convenience, but I'd lose a bit of "piece of mind" running one of those. I'm thinking the stock plug would be more secure!
                      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
                        I, for one, am not bothered by removing the oil drain bolt. The valve sounds like a nice convenience, but I'd lose a bit of "piece of mind" running one of those. I'm thinking the stock plug would be more secure!
                        Over 30k miles on two Kats, plus over 100k miles between two Audi's and a VW say otherwise... I'll take my Fumoto any day of the week. I've never had one leak or unexpectedly open.

I wish I could say I've never had a drain bolt strip or back-out unexpectedly...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by SlipKid
                          Over 30k miles on two Kats, plus over 100k miles between two Audi's and a VW say otherwise... I'll take my Fumoto any day of the week. I've never had one leak or unexpectedly open.

I wish I could say I've never had a drain bolt strip or back-out unexpectedly...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          CP do you ever go back and retorque the valve? Or do you just install and forget about it?

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                            CP do you ever go back and retorque the valve? Or do you just install and forget about it?
                            It has a permanent blue poly-material crush-washer as part of it's design. I install (slightly over-torque probably -- it's square, so I use an adjustable wrench to install it), check for leakage (none) and that's it.

The drain valve has an L-shaped release path for the latch, with a spring to hold it into the short leg of the L when closed... After install, the only maintainence is occassionally spraying down the latch on the one on the bike with WD-40 to knock down road-grime caught under the latch spring, usually right before I open it to drain it (it's only an issue if I've been riding through heavy rains recently -- rain water carries sand up there in Florida). I've never had to retorque or retighten the actual mechanism.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X