X

New to me Kat (long post)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Kat (long post)

Ok, so I bought my 05 Kat 600 this spring new on clearance $4999. My wife got her permit, and I have been teaching her to ride. She will take a course next spring.

***Flashback to 1995*** My buddy tought me to ride on his 88 Kat 600 50 tooth rear and 14 tooth front sprocket.

I have since traded him my 86 Honda Elite 150 scooter for it. The Scooter had only 3k on it, the Kat has 6k (I think I walked out ahead).

I now have the sprockets and new chain that I will install on the 05 AFTER she passes the behind the wheel (but need a speedo healer if anyone has a line on one).

Ok, here is the dilema... The 88 has been in storage for 7 years (not properly). Should I just bring it to the shop and let them have at it? I live in an appartment and do not have a garage to work on it. I'm guessin I will need at least new tires, carbs, brakes (and lines), most (if not all) of the cables replaced... Blah, blah, blah.

Orrrrrrrrrr, part it out and get her a newer bike (she loves the feel of the kat, HATES Ninja's due to her back)? I'd love to ride 2up on 2 Kats with 2 daughters. Which brings me to the last prob. The 5 year old dosen't like the black helmet, wants a pink helmet. Geezzzzzz, 1 bike only need 1 kid lid.

October in MN is JACKED 80 degrees tomorrow, snow by Monday. If I wear skis and drag my feet can I ride all winter?????

personally I would try and sell it for a newer Kat, but it can't hurt to have it looked at to see if it will run for a few bucks.

PS don't forget about rust in the tank

Comment

Seven years of bad storage will turn it into a nightmare. Possibilities include rusted cylinders and rings. Expect to throw $1k at it at minimum, between tires, hoses, lines, gas tank repair/replacement, battery, carb parts, etc. -- and that's without shop time. Given your location (apartment, no work area, limited tools), that may easily make the fiscally wisest thing to do to part it and buy something that is running well already instead...

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well i bought mine after stood 5 years in a garden!! i have no work space and limited tools but i enjoy fixing it up so im sorted, after all i bought the bike more to fix up than ride anyway and doing so teaches me new things about the bike (im hoping by the end of it ill have as much knowledge as cyberpoet....lol) id say take it to the shops too you never know how much its gonna cost to fix till you ask!!! never hurts to ask, i say!!

good luck on that.
        i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Working...
        X